privy keepsfilling with water

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
good pics showing the block wall which turns into a round woodliner as it goes down. we were at the 12 foot mark which i thought was bottom. then we found the seat and a layer of shingles. after that the scene changes. the bones are dark black, the muck is darker, and we have not seen any bottles under the shingles which is a change.

everything is older under that layer. looks like they spent 40 years filling the thing in but this seems like the start of the filling in process.
my 4 foot probe goes to the handle under that. we are talking at LEAST 16 foot deep. i will take a longer probe next time i go to check the depth.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mtfdfire22

josh diggin

059A99D0C18A4BFFA663D9E9156A36E0.jpg

OMG! that looks like new doo doo! Just by looking at the concrete walls,that seat and that crap I would abort the mission.
No wonder its holding water its a concrete container. It probably has a concrete bottom. I don't see a wood liner? how far down is it. Concrete is always bad. I never had a good thing come out of concrete.
Are you sure there is no concrete behind the wood? They might have dropped a box.

But I am going to give you guys an A for effort.

I could be wrong but from what I see, but I don't think so. I will stick to my guess. But I hope I am wrong.[:D]

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
o.k. i will go over this one last time.....
the blocks/ concrete stops after about 5'. no more blocks after 5' none nada zip zilch.
the tan color you see is clay. that's where the woodliner picks up. the wood is 90% gone and the remains we can find are nearly rotted away. the big round hole you see right down the middle is where the concrete stops.

i wont say im a veteran but ive dug 40 or more privies in the last 2 years alone and with Bill Heatly (aka druggistnut) and have been doing this for 13-14 years.

what most don't understand, even the veterans, it the fact that the way the concrete got there is because it was poured behind the wood wall because the wood was being replaced by concrete. concrete can be very very old.

excerpt from Wikipedia: "Concrete technology was known by the Ancient Romans and was widely used within the Roman Empire. After the Empire passed, use of concrete became scarce until the technology was re-pioneered in the mid-18th century."

so who says concrete always means new?

and for those who didnt read the first portion I stated that this stuff is getting older. their is a break of about 20 years in the age of the trash we found. though we have found no whole bottles under the shingles the age of the other matter in the privy has taken a jump 20 years and we are now at the TOC to about 1905. anyone digging in a TOC privy who stops digging with at least 4ft to go should not be digging.

ive filled privies in before and i have thought about what could have been ever since. I wont make that mistake again. We cannot understand every privy just because we have dug others like it in the past. Making assumptions about what you "might" find may loose you some great finds in the end. If you can understand everything people were thinking and going through 120 years ago their would be a-lot more privies being dug and where is the challenge in that? cant have fun if you know all the answers.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

o.k. i will go over this one last time.....
the blocks/ concrete stops after about 5'. no more blocks after 5' none nada zip zilch.
the tan color you see is clay. that's where the woodliner picks up. the wood is 90% gone and the remains we can find are nearly rotted away. the big round hole you see right down the middle is where the concrete stops.

i wont say im a veteran but ive dug 40 or more privies in the last 2 years alone and with Bill Heatly (aka druggistnut) and have been doing this for 13-14 years.

what most don't understand, even the veterans, it the fact that the way the concrete got there is because it was poured behind the wood wall because the wood was being replaced by concrete. concrete can be very very old.

excerpt from Wikipedia: "Concrete technology was known by the Ancient Romans and was widely used within the Roman Empire. After the Empire passed, use of concrete became scarce until the technology was re-pioneered in the mid-18th century."

so who says concrete always means new?

and for those who didnt read the first portion I stated that this stuff is getting older. their is a break of about 20 years in the age of the trash we found. though we have found no whole bottles under the shingles the age of the other matter in the privy has taken a jump 20 years and we are now at the TOC to about 1905. anyone digging in a TOC privy who stops digging with at least 4ft to go should not be digging.

ive filled privies in before and i have thought about what could have been ever since. I wont make that mistake again. We cannot understand every privy just because we have dug others like it in the past. Making assumptions about what you "might" find may loose you some great finds in the end. If you can understand everything people were thinking and going through 120 years ago their would be a-lot more privies being dug and where is the challenge in that? cant have fun if you know all the answers.

well if it keeps getting older toc on down then I retract my answer[:D]

(Every singe privy) with block 0r concrete walls sucked even when there was wood under it.. Maybe its different in your area. Like i said I hope its loaded. Dig on

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
well it would go much faster if you got your azz on a plane and headed out this way.[:D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

well it would go much faster if you got your azz on a plane and headed out this way.[:D]

I'll tell ya if I had the $$$$ I would. I mean won the lottery lol

I went out today and pounded on some doors It looks good for 3 places. In 3 different towns. I was on the move[:)]

twowheelfan

Reaction score
dig it to the bottom! great pics! any methane smell? thats the smell you wanna smell. yea! black cream cheese thats warm and methane smelling. any bubbles or seeds in the water yet?

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
no seeds yet. its got a along way to go. everything is just how i like to see it. black! the wood is black the bones are black the walls are black. its nasty and its wet but its fun.

hurry up and win the lotto rick. i have about 20 places we can go within 15 miles of me. mostly in the death trap saginaw but hey you gotta take a chance right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal