Question about BIM bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
My question is do all BIM's have tooled lips? I know there are applied lips and tooled.....I ask because some BIM bottles lips look not tooled to me and I just never asked anyone. Thanks for the feedback.

botlguy

Reaction score
No. Some have what is called a "Burst Top", others a "Sheared Mouth". Even "Applied Collar" or "Applied Lip" bottles are tooled to get a smooth finish with a uniform diameter opening / mouth. The Gaffer used a tool to create the desired "Finish" or last step of production. That's the simple answer, others will have more. Jim

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
So there weren't any bottles that were simply blown in the mold, and then just taken out? (Besides burst tops and applied lip/collar)

botlguy

Reaction score
BobbyCommonBottles said:
So there weren't any bottles that were simply blown in the mold, and then just taken out? (Besides burst tops and applied lip/collar)

If they were mouth blown, by a human that is, they were attached to a "Punty" rod / Blow Pipe and would have to be removed from it by either shearing or touched by a drop of water to cause a fracture in the pipe at the appropriate spot. Then they would be put back into the heat to smooth the rough edge or have the lip finished by tooling, with or without an applied glob of glass, or left to cool as-is and the lip ground. If you look at a "Burst Top" such as many British bottles, inks for example, you will see the closest thing to just "Blow and Go", no real lip finish at all. This is a bit difficult to describe without pictures or bottles in hand, there are online sources to answer these questions although I enjoy / like to try. I'll keep going if you want. Jim

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the time to answer....the reason I ask is I have some bottles that are definitely Blow in mold.....(the seams end before the lip) and the collar or lip look very even as if never touched with a tool. For example....this Hay's Hair Health Bottl
GEDC3829_zpsavob2mvx.jpg
e....... " />

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
would this bottle have a tooled collar then? I've never heard that term....I've only heard tooled lip. Lip is the top part and collar is the bottom half of the finish. What would this be considered? Tooled lip or tooled collar?

sunrunner

Reaction score
you are confused , the lip and the collar are one in the same. the tool would have finished all at the same time. there would be like a three pronged fork the middle would go in the nick and the outer part which had the contours of the lip and collar would be on the out side it would go over the nick clamped down the bottle would be turned the lip formed.

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
I thought the collar was the lower part of the "lip" and the lip was the upper part.......

Attachments

• ed60d8c149084d1aa5dbe6c0ac0c7215.jpg
    ed60d8c149084d1aa5dbe6c0ac0c7215.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 66

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
See what I mean? The collar is the part that touches the neck. Some bottles don't have a collar right? In that case they would just have a lip? In that diagram it shows the lip and the collar as two different parts and they both make up the "finish"

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal