Question about BIM bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Generally Jim's answer is the best though technically some tool was used in cracking or "wetting" off and obviously shears were used on the the other.You might also include threads as a lip and ground tops were full height molds. Therefor many jars and some bottles were full height but the grinder was also a tool. I'm not aware of any cork or other closures that are ground but I suppose there could be.As for "collar" I agree. It's another term that needs to be corrected and standardized. The one you show is often called a double collar.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Actually when you get right down to it BIM means nothing more than Blown In Mold, it does not have anything to do with finishes or pontils or bottle ages. all bottles with embossing and some others are BIM blown into a mold. If you want to describe a bottle more accurately you would use the terms BIMAL blown in mold applied lip for a bottle with possibly a pontil or snap case holder mark. If you were to describe a tooled top bottle, a bottle which was finished with a hand tooling or lipping device you would state BIMTOL blown in mold tooled lip. As you can see all bottles with the exception of free form or globular shaped bottles are blown into molds, The term BIM is pretty undescriptive at best. That website you went to High Desert Bottle Website or SHA is the best online source of bottle information to date, Bill Lindsey went to a lot of trouble to inform collectors of how bottles are dated and made.......Andy

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Blown by humans using lung power (BBHULP) vs Machine made!!! Extra glass added and then tooled so you can see the addition (EGATTSOYOCTA). Tooled very well so it looks like one piece of glass (TVWSOLLOPOG). [:D][:D][:D][:D]

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
I know what you're saying Andy.....but when people say BIM it means not machine made..... Blown meaning by the mouth (lol). Machine made would be ABM. You could get technical all day on these terms but it's standard to say BIM for anything that isn't machine made.....of course machine made bottles use molds too....but BIM means not machine made....everyone knows that. Then of course you can add BIMAL or BIM tooled lip....you would just add the rest of the details after the BIM part I guess. BIMAL open pontil.....etc.

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
My original question I asked....I was just wondering if there was ALWAYS a tool used when a (mouth) blown in mold bottle was made that wasn't a burst top or applied top or ground lip. The answer is yes. Thanks for all the info everyone. Just trying to get a better idea of how glass was made back then.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
BobbyCommonBottles said:
My original question I asked....I was just wondering if there was ALWAYS a tool used when a (mouth) blown in mold bottle was made that wasn't a burst top or applied top or ground lip. The answer is yes. Thanks for all the info everyone. Just trying to get a better idea of how glass was made back then.
True but it did progress to a much broader question I think and it got to be just a bit fun (at least for me). [:)]

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
My head hurts from all the information aaaaaaah lol. I learned a lot from this thread. I can see you had some fun Cowseat!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter