RAMSEYS TRINIDAD BITTERS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I have an olive-amber bitters that I need some advice about. The 8.25-inch, half-pint bottle is embossed around the shoulder and again around the base-rim RAMSEYS TRINIDAD BITTERS. There is a domed kick-up inside the embossed base-rim, but there is no pontil scar. I am guessing 1870s.

It is not listed in Kovels' 11th Edition. I did find it in Kovels' 4th Edition (1977) in stained condition at $25.00. None has sold recently on eBay. Does anyone here have more information about this bottle?

Mine is a dug bottle, not in condition to put on my shelf (my aesthetic preference). I have to decide whether to have it cleaned or put it in storage for someone else to worry about. Is this bottle worth cleaning?

-------------Harry Pristis

Bz78340.jpg

woody

Reaction score
I did find it listed in Kovel's second edition, 1971, for $75.00.
With the embossing on the base.
I would say it is worth having cleaned.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you, Woody, for checking on this bottle.

I went to the St. Petersburg, Florida, bottle show yesterday. Someone was selling a few older books; and, I found the listing you cite in Kovels' 1971 edition. That was the first edition of their pricelist, it appears.

I am puzzled that in 1971, two Ramseys Trinidad Bitters are listed (one shoulder-embossed, one not. Then in the 1977 edition, there is one bottle listed. Then in 1999, there is no listing for either bottle.

I did find two listed Ramseys Trinidad Bitters bottles in the Sellari's 1975 Illustrated Price Guide. The bottle I have is illustrated there and is listed at $70-80.

The bottle show was a good one, as usual for this venue. Lots of great glass, and informative conversation. All new bottle collectors should find a bottle show in their area, and spend a couple of hours. Priceless experience!

--------------Harry Pristis

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter