RC and others worth buying?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bhaze

Reaction score
Here are a few soda bottles that i have the chance to buy but i dont know what a good price to get them at would be. I think that the RC and the Pepsi are good bottles but i could be wrong. Here is the link because ebay will not allow me to copy or save the picture. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170684460320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bhaze

Reaction score
This is also one of the nicer RCs of that kind that i have seen. Usually the labels are faded.

celerycola

Reaction score
Here's your pic:

805B7F3AF7874CA19084BF9C8C3F5BC0.jpg

Attachments

• 805B7F3AF7874CA19084BF9C8C3F5BC0.jpg
    805B7F3AF7874CA19084BF9C8C3F5BC0.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 41

bhaze

Reaction score
Thankyou so much celerycola, for some reason i couldn't figure that out!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
bhaze ~

If you just "gotta" have them, then I'd say go for it. Providing no one else bids on them and the price (with $11.95 shipping) goes beyond the current $25.00. In my opinion they appear to avearge about $5.00 each. However, for the most part they are fairly common bottles. So if you hold off and shop around long enough at local antique shops and possibly a bottle show or two, I'm sure you will eventually be able to find the exact same bottles, and possibly for less than $25.00. But if for some reason the price on the e-bay lot shoots up to $35.00 - $55.00, etc; I would back away from it altogether. There are just too many other similar fish in the sea to bother paying more than $25.00.

Good luck. And please let us know what you decide.

SPBOB

F3384407E65149828FFBF66E49C40312.jpg

Attachments

• F3384407E65149828FFBF66E49C40312.jpg
    F3384407E65149828FFBF66E49C40312.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 33

splante

Reaction score
yes I agree if you get them for the opining bid and need to add them to your collection then I would say its a go. With the price of gas you might spend that plus time hunting antique/consigment stores for the same ones.

fishnuts

Reaction score
IMHO: Spending twenty bucks for five commons?
First, the R C Cola appears to have cancer spots in the label...I think you can find better.
The Squeeze has it's problems as stated in the body of the lot.,,if you'll likely buy it you'll buy another to upgrade.
The Nehi, Pepsi and Double Cola are extremely comon. With no city on them, I don't see much value.

Unless you only want to fill space fast in your display, I believe there are better purchases out there four your hard-earned money.

As a comic aside...I can understand why wives and girl friends hate when guys bring home a box of bottles. That is because they see it as 'trash'. Bring home a nice picture label, or two, to get them to see bottles as an art form.
There are dozens of cool labels that happen to be currently under five-to-ten dollars: Lazy B, Fox, Arctic, Orchard, Colonial, Big Ten, Valley, Harmony Club, Julep, Big Shot, Kramers, Manhattan, White Eagle, Texan, Sunset, Husky, Southway, Raliegh's, Polkagon, Pep, My Pic...well, you get the idea about which creates a better display. IMHO

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
bhaze ~

Please correct if I am mistaken, but I get the impression you are new to soda bottle collecting. I base this assumption on the note that you seem somewhat unfamilar with the values of relatively common bottles as those being discussed here.

If in fact this is the case, I'm curious if your initiation to the hobby was spurred from digging and finding or buying and selling? If from digging, I can relate with wanting to keep everything you find. Personally, I hate to leave anything behind that I've found irregardless of how common it might be. I think most "diggers" can relate to this. But if your interest is from buying, I'm curious as to why you are focusing on the more common bottles?

My reasons for asking these questions involve my personal initiation to the hobby that started some thirty years ago. In the beginning I just wanted anything and everything. But as time progressed I became more selective, with the realization that I really didn't need twenty of the same exact Pepsi Cola or any other bottle. Which gradually led me into a more focused selection. Especially when I started buying bottles, which seems to be an eventuality with all collectors.

So with all of this said, and using hindsight as an example, I would like to recomment that before you get too far afield with buying every soda bottle that "pops" up, that you take a tip from a life long collector, and step back for a moment and consider exactly what type of bottles it is that really capture your interest the most. And that may very well be common bottles. Which is fine because most of us certainly have our share of them.

But if it's picture labels - sports labels - animal labels - or any number of other themes that really spark your interest the most, then I say save up your money and go after those with a passion. I assure you, in the long run, you will be glad you did! As it stands for me currently, I would rather have one good $25.00 bottle than five common $5.00 bottles.

Everyone has there own particular area of interest. Mine just happens to be with western themes depicting cowboys and Indians. Others like bottles of local interest connected to their town or state. And the list goes on and on. But whatever you personal interest may be - I say go for it with gusto and allow your hard earned dollars to serve you best in that way. In the long run, your collection will display better and be worth more by "specializing."

Just a tip from an oldtime collector who wishes now that he had specialized a long, long time ago. You won't believe the bottles I could have had for pennies but passed up 35 years ago simply because I did not specialize.

I hope you glean some small measure of benifit from my advice. And I wish you all the luck now and in the future regarding the crazy, but wonderful world of soda bottle collecting.

Sincerely,

Sodapopbob

AA301A10AFA64E88B4145A7F7F470619.jpg

Attachments

• AA301A10AFA64E88B4145A7F7F470619.jpg
    AA301A10AFA64E88B4145A7F7F470619.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 36

bhaze

Reaction score
Sodapopbob

You are right, I am fairly new to collecting bottles. It is almost an addiction. I wanted to start collecting because I love the taste of soda in a bottle as opposed to soda in a can. All of the sudden I just got this urge to get a bottle and one led to another and that one led to another and here I am today. I am slowly starting to learn what is common and what is not; what i should pay big bucks for and what i should pass on. But I am somewhat interested in collecting any kind of soda bottle, whether it be a 10 oz acl to a gallon syrup jug to cone top tin cans. Basically anything that held soda except for small pop cans. Not interested in pop tab cans at all. It's all just interesting to me that people used to go to the store and buy these for 5 or 10 cents and drink them and just to know all of the places they have been and who was holding it to actually use it for its original purpose, to serve a soda, and not to collect. I have been collecting for about 3 months now and have 32 bottles including a 1 gallon coke syrup (which is the only one ive ever bought online). I usually like going to flea markets and antique shows to bargain them down but i know where to stop (sometimes :) ). My theory and interest right now, the more bottles the better. Like I said before, it has become an addiction and just to know the variety of soda bottles that exist in the world is amazing to me. I believe that I have mostly common bottles at this point. (Commemorative 7ups, pepsi, squirt, mission, tab, hires, vernors, suncrest to name a few). The most valuable bottle I think I have right now is a hillbilly mountain dew bottled by maw and paw which i have been told is worth right around $25. I bought that for $10. But I like collecting, making money on the bottles is not a huge factor for me right now, it's just the fun of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem