Recent Buys

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Thanks Kate. Here is one of my favorite pics.

89D9EF8D210646CABB628BB3FDFE2CEA.jpg

Attachments

• 89D9EF8D210646CABB628BB3FDFE2CEA.jpg
    89D9EF8D210646CABB628BB3FDFE2CEA.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 69

sweetrelease

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: madpaddla

Hello all,
I went to the hole Tigue, Ed and I were digging. It was under 3 feet of water. So I have been picking up some stuff off the bay and at the flea Markets.
Here is one that was listed without saying OP.
ben if you want to sell this bottle i would like to buy it . just let me know, you would see why i would want this bottle[;)]thanks ~matt

051AC1B862504F78A5C70F560DE6F58D.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
lol, an infallible sweet release! Nice pics Ben, I was going to bid on one of those Lyons, but let it go... guy had a few of them on e bay. Funny you picked up that sweets bottle, I dug an O.P. one last week with lip broke off... the lip and half the neck... I was going to take it home anyway but threw a brick on it...accidentally.. o well... a nice pick up...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Yeah the Glovers appears machine made

The story is the molds were bought and used in Italy to reproduce the bottles in the odd colors. I have never seen positive proof of this.
I'd certainly like more info on them if anyone has anything concrete. Things I would like to see are... one of the odd colored ones with a label... a hand blown odd colored one, or one with the Italy sticker.
There are some other examples of later weird color machine made medicine versions. One good example is the cobalt Hartshorns I posted a while back.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.fohbc.com/PDF_Files/MSmith_Glover.pdf
from an FOHBC article ...[align=left]bottles, I must pass on information[/align][align=left]that was given to me in the early 1980’s[/align][align=left]by a then long time bottle and veterinary[/align][align=left]medicine collector. It seems that in the[/align][align=left]1960’s colored glass examples of Dr.[/align][align=left]Glover’s Distemper Remedy embossed[/align][align=left]bottle began showing up. These bottles[/align][align=left]were discovered in colors such as peacock[/align][align=left]blue, yellow green, and yellow, among others.[/align][align=left]The collector tracked these colored[/align][align=left]bottles down to florist shops. It seems that[/align][align=left]the florists were buying the bottles to place[/align][align=left]in flower arrangements. All the examples[/align][align=left]that this collector obtained had a sticker[/align][align=left]on the bottom of the bottle stating: “Made[/align][align=left]in Italy.†I have personally seen some of[/align][align=left]these bottles with original stickers. These[/align][align=left]bottles were indistinguishable from their[/align][align=left]amber brothers except by color. One must[/align][align=left]surmise that the original bottle mold somehow[/align][align=left]ended up in Italy. Among veterinary[/align][align=left]collectors today, only amber Glover bottles[/align][align=left]are considered original. There is no evidence[/align][align=left]to indicate that other colored glass[/align][align=left]bottles were ever produced by the company.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]>> of course, without proof, its just a story. would be nice to know the truth.[/align][align=left]-Matt[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Ben, I like the bottom hinged LYONS POWDER the best. I looked at your Glovers and decided it was made on a bottle machine. The neckring seam shows up on top of the finish. This tells me the neckring, didn't have a guide ring, But that seam is 90 degrees from the mold parting line. I cant tell what kind of machine was used but it could be a foreign machine or an early IS machine. Anyway your friend got you a good deal.

RED Matthews

Wilkie

Reaction score
madpaddla, I found this ad for one of the bottles you purchased.
Bell-Ans Cures Indigestion!
Only 25 Cents from All Druggists
The San Antonio Express
San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas
November 15, 1918

BCE74348F9ED45628B7E71C42838F9C5.jpg

Attachments

• BCE74348F9ED45628B7E71C42838F9C5.jpg
    BCE74348F9ED45628B7E71C42838F9C5.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 68

Members online

Latest threads