repaired bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Gang...

I've talked about bottle repair under the cleaning forum... This subject also relates to display... I'd like to put up some photos of my attempts at repair using casting resin... Please let me know what you think...

Ron

First is a Shaker Extract Valarian with two large pieces missing from the thin flared lip, as is typical with this bottle...

Rp43540.jpg

Attachments

• Rp43540.jpg
    Rp43540.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 128

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Alan...

I'll try and post a clearer photo...

The company that makes the resin has two sets of dyes: one is the basic red, blue, yellow and another has 12 or so colors... I used the basic set and played with blue and yellow until I got a close-looking aqua...

It's called Castin'craft Clear liquid plastic Casting Resin... I got it at a craft store here in the US called Michael's... It's probably available on-line...

Ron

slimdigger

Reaction score
Ron, I have tried repairs in the past using epoxy and have found that the epoxy tends to be hard to keep in place ( runny). Is the product you are using easier to work with? Slimdigger

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Digger...

The casting resin is pretty good to work with... I use scotch tape to form a mold; then I work the viscous fluid into the space where the glass is missing... The real challenge is to wait for the resin to dry completely before you touch it... It stays tacky for quite a while...

Be sure to use plenty of ventilation!! I try to do my work outside on my kitchen landing...

Ron

KentOhio

Reaction score
You did a good job matching the color. I have some bottles with old epoxy repairs that have turned yellow. I guess only time will tell if yours will or not. Maybe they've improved the epoxy formula, or maybe it's still the same stuff.

bearswede

Reaction score
hi kent...

thanks... this is actually casting resin as opposed to epoxy which does have a rep for yellowing with age... the resin is supposed to maintain its color; however, temperature extremes could affect the repaired area...

ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75