Rhode Island bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grywllms

Reaction score
Just getting into bottle collecting after digging up several on construction projects I have done in Chicago. One of my finds is a 9-1/2" Tall light blue HAZARD & CASWELL on front, CHEMISTS on right side of the bottle, and New port R.I on the left side. Don't have much knowledge on the subject , but it appears to be a pontil with an applied top(not for certain). Sorry, I don't have a picture at the present moment...
my collection is up to 26 bottles and growing
<<<<think I'm hooked>>>>

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Grywllms, first off, welcome to the forum and the best hobby going! It's tough to tell for sure without a pic, but your Hazard & Caswell sounds like this one, as listed in the Little Rhody Bottle Club book, but they don't mention a pontiled version. I would love to see some pics of your bottle. If it's pontiled, it's unlisted.

[size=-1]iRI-284.2[/size]

[size=-1]HAZARD HAZARD & CO. (front)[/size]
[size=-1]CHEMISTS, (right side)[/size]
[size=-1]NEW-PORT R.I. (left side)[/size]
[size=-1]rectangular[/size]
[size=-1]aqua[/size]
[size=-1]9-1/2"[/size][size=-1][/size]

grywllms

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome treasurekidd,... sounds like the exact bottle I have. Just noticed on the bottom of the bottle it has a larger than quarter size indentation(dimpple).I thought it was a pontil mark, must be part of the mould design. thanks for the info.
Browesed through your ebay items...seems like you come across a wide variety of treasures, let me know if you ever come across old baseball cards.. Huge collector!!thanks again for the info.

treasurekidd

Reaction score
You're welcome grywllms. Is the base of your bottle similar to this, with the center circle depressed inward? If so, that's a not a pontil, but what I believe is called a two piece hinge mold base. Still a very nice bottle either way. As for eBay, I usually have more bottles than anything else, just not this week. I buy for my collection, and sell some that don't fit in the collection. Did I mention I'd love to see a pic of that bottle, lol!!

A46F84B738714352A11585612853875B.jpg

Attachments

• A46F84B738714352A11585612853875B.jpg
    A46F84B738714352A11585612853875B.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 103

grywllms

Reaction score
treasurekidd, Yes, sounds pretty accurate...it also has a seam looks similar to a solder weld under the cone shapped lip. Tomorrow I will post some pictures of that one, and a couple others I've found maybe you could tell me something more about them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday