Salida, Colorado hutchinson bottle (my first hutch)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
A good friend of mine gave me this bottle as a gift over the Thanksgiving holiday. This is my first Hutch and I am quite proud of it, especially since it is from Colorado, which is my favorite state!

Salida_Colo_4.jpg

^ Brief pertaining info: located in the center of the state, Salida was (is) a small town founded in 1880 around the local railroad.

It is interesting to note that the seam does not extend all the way to the top of the lip on these older bottles. Speaking of age, can anyone point me in the general direction on how to properly date a hutchinson? Also, would anyone happen to have a clue on value? I am new to this. It is in excellent condition, no chips or cracks.

surfaceone

Reaction score
5797922145_01160e856d_z.jpg

From.

Hey Kid,

Nice Hutch, sir. They lasted into the Crown era.

IG1266-1.jpg
From.

"Salida Bottling
20) 211 W. First St.
Occupant: Private residence
Construction date: circa 1895
In 1904, this one-story brick structure housed part of the Salida Bottling Company. Located directly adjacent to the D&RG spur, it contained the firm’s office and a storage area. In 1909, the bottling company moved west across the railroad tracks and the building served as a storage area. Later, Guy Hall ran a coal business out of the building.
When the D&RGW pulled its Monarch spur line out in the mid-1980s, the city of Salida purchased the right of way through the city.
Since the property is on the right of way, the city became the owner. It sold the property to Jim Kittleman and his family in 1989. The Kittlemans restored the building, and once used it for retail sales and as an office.
To the rear of the building are wooden structures, the remains of coal and lime bins." From.

Check out this billhead.

old-F-Street.jpg

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Surface -

Thanks a bunch for your thoughtful & detailed reply, you are the best! I think your name should be changed to SOURCEfaceone, because you are so good at sourcing material online.

At any rate, I get a real kick out of that old Americana, where every little town had a little bottling factory. I pine for those days, and I wasn't even born back then. So, my bottle couldn't be any older than 1895 it looks like?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TheCaliKid

This is my first Hutch and I am quite proud of it, especially since it is from Colorado, which is my favorite state!
Then shouldn't your username be the TheCOLOKid ???[;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
So, my bottle couldn't be any older than 1895 it looks like?

Hey Kid,

That site said "circa," and I always see that as + or - 5 to 10 years. Hutchinson soda bottles have been around Since 1879. That little bit of history that I found, I'm sure is not the definitive word on Salida...

Copy%20of%20hutchisonstopp.jpg
Thanks Digger.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dean / TheCaliKid

Its good to see you're still kickin' up some dust and lookin' for them thar bottles. I only have a couple of hutch's myself and think they're pretty cool, too.

Page 10 of this link indicates the Salida Bottling Company building is still standing today and is now a historical landmark.

http://cityofsalida.com/_site/wp-content/uploads/2001SurveyReport.pdf

Have a good Christmas.

Bob

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Dean / TheCaliKid

Its good to see you're still kickin' up some dust and lookin' for them thar bottles. I only have a couple of hutch's myself and think they're pretty cool, too.

Page 10 of this link indicates the Salida Bottling Company building is still standing today and is now a historical landmark.

http://cityofsalida.com/_site/wp-content/uploads/2001SurveyReport.pdf

Have a good Christmas.

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob, and happy belated New Years!

Hopefully, I'll get one last chance this year to look for some roadside bottles in the desert.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2