Saturday 3/6/10 1930s Dump dig!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KBbottles

Reaction score
This weekend I had the opportunity to get out and do a dig again. It's been a long time. Finally, the weather was nice and I had relocated a huge dump site that I visited 10 years ago when I was still very young. For some reason, I couldn't find the exact area where I had dug in the past which was much deeper into the woods. There was a lot of swamp area and I couldn't find a good access point. However, I did find a very big spot along the edge of the woods and spent the day excavating an area between two old trees. It was very strange because there were older finds mixed in with very new stuff. Found at least 10 broken bottles with applied lips such as the Foley's below, an amber strapside flask, 2 blob top soda/beer bottles, wine, and other meds. Finds included:

1. Starkey soda from New Brunswick, NJ
2. Golden Guernsey Milk bottle from Hightstown, NJ
3. D. F. Chamberlin Pint Milk from Cranbury, NJ
4. Applied label Forsgate Farms quart from Jamesburg, NJ
5. 2 milks that lost their label
6. Phillips Milk of Magnesia
7. Bourjois perfume bottle (no cap) When I was a kid, a bourjois bottle with cap was my first cobalt find ever. :)
8. The ever common Ball Perfect Mason in that aqua blue color.
9. 2 broken Foley's Honey and Tar from Chicago
10. one square bottle with applied lip unembossed
11. Green sunsweet jug.
12. screw top Bromo Seltzers.
.....and other common stuff... marbles, buttons, a small lid, etc...

036CA4142DB747FEA5853F6166307DDD.jpg

Attachments

• 036CA4142DB747FEA5853F6166307DDD.jpg
    036CA4142DB747FEA5853F6166307DDD.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 52

lexdigger

Reaction score
I've come across similar sites over the years. 1920's and 30's bottles will often contain older style bottles mixed in with them. Patent meds, druggists, sodas and others were used untill the supply ran out. I'd say it was common to see bim and abm bromo's and others sitting Together on the shelf of the local drug store. Many local bottles were bim well into the 1920's! You also have to consider that people may have re used alot of bottles for many years! I've dug soda bottles with paint in them and meds with ink in them! We commonly refer to them as late tosses, but it's possible that they were just still available in the older style bottle untill way past it's time? One thing I would keep my eye out for is STONEWARE! I've dug some really nice OLD stoneware out of 1920's and 30's trash. That seems to be the most common type of vessel to be re used and held onto for long periods of time.

808 50th State

Reaction score
Kenneth,
Nice finds...I like digging those 1920's and 30's dumps...Like finding those milks...Like Chris said keep your eyes open for those bimal medicines and stonewares, I too found some mixed in with the newer stuffs...thanks for sharing...
aloha Earl

epackage

Reaction score
The milks are great, I imagine you might be getting a pm from John here inquiring if they can be "gotten too", nice job but I see nothing from Paterson which disturbs me....LOL

KBbottles

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Found some great stoneware but broken. Will keep digging this site and the other sites within the general area. Also found some great depression pieces also broken :(. Just gotta keep at it. No Patersons yet lol but will be back looking. Thought the milks were decent finds and also that Starkey soda from New Brunswick was so cool to dig up with that picture indented in it. Anybody know any info on the Starkey?

THE BADGER

Reaction score
hey kb,its the badger.im not sure if its the same dump ive been diggin.but jesster and i have dug at it several times and we were pulling out similar stuff,there have been days where we dug 150 bottles in one day.i also have a few of the starkey bottles and the stanley and forsgate etc.we pulled out a few crocks that were awesome even blue lettering and some blob beers also.pm me if you want and we can talk. dave

TreasurDiggrNY

Reaction score
Congrats on the finds, nice haul[;)] The milks are nice, the soda too, that cleaned up good.
TDNY

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers