Schmidt Coke Museum Auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Re: RE: Schmidt Coke Museum Auction

The following is copy/pasted from the second link, but I'm not sure if it's saying the Coca Cola Company own the Earl Dean prototype bottle and sketch. The word "collaboration" doesn't necessarily indicate ownership .... ~ * ~ Organized by the High in collaboration with The Coca-Cola Company, the exhibition will be presented in two floors of the High's Anne Cox Chambers wing. As visitors enter the exhibition gallery in the first-floor lobby, they will encounter more than 500 contemporary 3-D printed bottles suspended from the ceiling that reference the Coca-Cola bottle's iconic design. The second floor displays will feature three main areas: a section focused on the design history of the bottle, a pop art section with more than 15 works by Warhol, and a photography section including works from the High's permanent collection.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Although it wouldn't surprise me if the Coca Cola Company did in fact buy the bottle and sketch for a combined total of ... $468,000.00

JeffDean

Reaction score

The concept sketch is now owned by the Coca-Cola Company and the Prototype bottle, formally owned by the Dean family, is now owned by the Root family. The bottle is currently on display at the High Museum in Atlanta...on loan.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Jeff It's good to hear from you again. I was hoping you'd stop by and share some insider info with us. I find it interesting the Root family ended up with one of the two prototype bottles, especially when we take into account how the Root Glass Company gave their bottle to the Coca Cola Company years ago. Not to mention the possibility the bottle they gave away is the same one they got back. Because the Coca Cola Company already had one of the prototypes, it makes sense they didn't go to the gavel back in 2011 and buy the second one. I'm sure they're happy campers now to have one of the bottles and the sketch ta'boot - which is only natural because they belong together. By the way, congratulations on the 100th anniversary of the bottle and sketch. Your grandfather is to be applauded for providing us with the most recognizable American icon ever conceived. It's true now just as it was 100 years ago in that your grandfather's vision for the bottle is like an old friend that's still visible, even in the dark. Thanks again, Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Correction ... The bottle that Root Glass gave to Coca Cola years ago cannot be one in the same. When I said that my fingers were working faster than my brain. But I still find it interesting the Root family ended up with one after all. It seems doubtful that either bottle will ever be sold again - and if one of them does, I bet it will go for a million dollars. Heck, I'd pay $100 just to hold one! [:D]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

On second thought, they better not let me hold one for any price - I just might sneak out the back door with it!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Nice follow through, thanks. I remember (I think) when it was a bottle in a kitchen drawer. [:)]

JeffDean

Reaction score

My pleasure Bob. And just for the record, it was Samuelson that donated a prototype bottle to Coca-Cola. And to be honest, I'm not sure why Samuelson was in possession of it. I'm guessing that Chapman J. Root must have given it to him. Not sure if you were aware of this, but there has been a story floating around for almost a century, that a reporter walked into the Root Glass Company (after the contest) and asked if he could shoot a picture of the prototype bottle. He was told that he couldn't, but it would be OK for him to sketch a picture of it. They put him in a room so that he could do this...and when someone went back to check on him, the reporter and the bottle were gone. So, there could be a third bottle floating around and my guess is this was the prototype bottle that the Roots kept and just could have well been the prototype that was submitted to the contest. As for the stolen bottle, do to the fact that back in that time it hadn't really acclaimed "Classic" status yet...it probable got disposed of.

hemihampton

Reaction score

SODAPOPBOB said:
On second thought, they better not let me hold one for any price - I just might sneak out the back door with it!

Or you just might drop it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75