should we be worried????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
it seems like the copiers never pay enough attention to the details to create a passable fake
There's something to be thankful for. Some bottles, however, could justify a limited capital investment and might bring a huge return (if they were good enough and the person didn't release bunches of them) . . .

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

This particular bottle wasn't too scary because;

1. He called it a fantasy bottle,

2. He himself says that the work he has done is obvious and apparent if you study the bottle up close.

What would scare me more is if someone got ahold of a pile of original bottle molds and began handblowing new bottles into them. This would create bottles that would be very hard to distinguish from their original counterparts (unless the person was ethical enough to keep track of every one made and carefully label them as commemorative modern examples.)
If he gets ahold of original molds for a bottle like that he won't need to fake the bottles to sale!

baltbottles

Reaction score
I can say I'm not a big fan of this type of practice. Just because he dose mention that it is a fantasy bottle doesn't mean someone in the future could be fooled. When he first posted pictures of this bottle on his facebook page I saw the bottle and right away started asking questions because it looked as if he had found and unlisted Baltimore soda mold. It wasn't until after we had exchanged a few comments they he let the cat out of the bag that the bottle was indeed a fantasy bottle made by casting resin embossing using a mold from a real Baltimore soda. The bottle may not hold up in hand but in pictures it could be enough to fool an unsuspecting collector.

Chris

surfaceone

Reaction score
Frankenstein Bottle

heineken-beer-commercials-frankenstein-halloween-sponsor-open-bottle.jpg

5153137990_a812d1a368_b.jpg

20110427015648.jpg

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

I can say I'm not a big fan of this type of practice. Just because he dose mention that it is a fantasy bottle doesn't mean someone in the future could be fooled. When he first posted pictures of this bottle on his facebook page I saw the bottle and right away started asking questions because it looked as if he had found and unlisted Baltimore soda mold. It wasn't until after we had exchanged a few comments they he let the cat out of the bag that the bottle was indeed a fantasy bottle made by casting resin embossing using a mold from a real Baltimore soda. The bottle may not hold up in hand but in pictures it could be enough to fool an unsuspecting collector.

Chris
He should emboss REPRODUCTION or something on the heel.

tigue710

Reaction score
unnecessary rhetoric in my opinion also... There is an opening market for repaired bottles though... Repairs have been done for a long time now but lets not forget a repaired Bryants netting close to 40 grand more recently... Possibly hes just practicing for honest repair? idk... id leave stuff like this alone myself, and think the fake bottle ought to be broken and thrown away...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
He goes by the name wilmartindale are you sure this inst Wink Matindale the game show host
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

He goes by the name wilmartindale are you sure this inst Wink Matindale the game show host[:D]
Walmart indale?
Like the Farks and many before them, mark them permanently as Matt said.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I believe repair of bottles is an excellent trade, should be encouraged to keep the old glass in circulation. But they should be clearly marked and documented. Also I fear the Chinese and Italians already excel at these forgeries. I saw a olive green EMBOSSED Memphis barrel whisky in a antigue shop for $35 a few years ago, sticker on the bottom said "MADE IN ITALY" , honest shop owner said Repro! I passed on it, but came back later to dicker for it. Bottle had sold! Last year you and I saw one ,or heard of one in a different color, auction of for thousands in a national auction. I noticed it was missing the sticker!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday