Smith's Chill Syrup - Laurel Delaware medicine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

phil44

Reaction score
You wouldn'nt trade Denton for Greenwood? Most Marylanders wouldn't, even if you threw in Ellendale where they have twice as many rusting cars and don't pay.

sandchip

Reaction score
Neat bottle and great place name. Good score, hernie!

div2roty

Reaction score
Nice try Phil, but Ellendale is like 2 blocks long. It has way less rusted cars than Denton, plus in Ellendale the rusted cars are not on the front lawns, they sit them out on the street. Ellendale is classy that way.

herndonbottles

Reaction score
All, thanks for all the replies. Gunther, Have you used these Annual patent reports in your research? There were hundreds of patent medicines (some I recognized) registered in the book that I found reference to this bottle.

http://books.google.com/books?id=GSDRAAAAMAAJ&pg=PT733&lpg=PT733&dq=%22smith's+chill+syrup%22&source=bl&ots=93zivoOuXE&sig=E0ye9djs14yib6kFJeJcSJezu0g&hl=en&ei=gTdaS8rnJpDSNdT7rfoO&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22smith's%20chill%20syrup%22&f=false

Here's a couple from Baltimore on the same page:
Strausa, George A., Baltimore, Md. "Tonic Milk Phosphates or Chemical Food "
Strontia Spring Company, Baltimore, Md. "Stroutia Mineral Spring Water"

Div2roty, I was planning to bring the bottle to Baltimore show. Were you planning on going? Thanks for your interest in the bottle. Send me a PM.
-Peter

div2roty

Reaction score
I finally found my Del medicine bottle list. Besides this bottle, there is also a Smith's Cough Syrup and a bottle embossed GEO. E. SMITH. The regular pharmacy bottle and the chill syrup are rated 2 stars and the Cough Syrup is rated 3 stars. The scale is between 1-5 stars, with 5 being the rarest. The list was complied in 1995, with an addition made in 1999 that did not include any other Smith bottles. The rarity scale has to be taken with a grain of salt though, given its age.

markh

Reaction score
Hi Herndonbottles,

The patent report reference you gave looks to be a good source for researching patented medicines. I did a little searching on google and found this link which has all the reports from 1845 to 1871, then skipping to the 1900's;

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/m/mdp/mb?a=listis;c=503653486;sort=title_a;pn=1

The other years should be available online somewhere, just need to search a bit more. Should be fun to see if I can find references to some of my cure bottles. It's also pretty cool to see what people were inventing back then.

Thanks,
Mark

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers