So fake it's not even funny...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AlexD

Reaction score
I just took some photos here. Interesting...!

The thing about the beer bottles pasted together to make the one large bottom may be very true. To the left is an average bottom to a REAL Straight Sided and to the right is the bottom to a new aged Coke bottle.
IMG_4723_zps33c066a0.jpg

Here's 3 labels, top one in the frame is real (which, by the way is also for sale[;)]) worth about $120 and the bottom two are fakes I printed on plain printer-paper and aged with Tea/Coffee in the oven. They look pretty similar to his labels haha!
IMG_4724_zpse93eee24.jpg

Asterx

Reaction score
I reported him. The worst eBay will probably do is take the auction out and ....possibly... suspend his selling (probably not though). It might be enough to scare him into not continuing his counterfeiting.

I had no idea the original labels were worth so much. Are you pretty good at telling an original from a fake when you see one by the style of printing and such? I imagine the originals were litho printed...

AlexD

Reaction score
I remember reporting to eBay about someone copying my listing that was going to end the next day and they never took it down, so I had to contact the seller her self (I'm guessing it's a her, username "Sunflowergirl" or something). John from eBay acted like he was going to take it down right then and there on the phone[:-] Yet if you have two identical listings with auction and buy it now they will take it down in minutes[8D][:mad:]

As for the labels, there's a trick behind them to tell if they're real or not[;)] If you look at the lines in the background you can tell. The ones that have dotted, smeared, broken lines are real and the ones that aren't are fake. Since they were printed with a press, the ink in the very fine places wouldn't go through all the way and smear. I have currently 11 of them. But his are smeared and dotted too so I think he might have scanned a real one and made perfect prints of them [&:]

$(KGrHqF,!q8E+z57btB2BP-z07F!Dg~~60_57.JPG

My listing has some more info too http://www.ebay.com/itm/290814694831?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 [:D]

Asterx

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. His looks like it was printed on dyed parchment paper though.

AlexD

Reaction score
Sure anytime.[:)] I don't really know how he does it but the labels he has on those are slightly different worth $45, still I don't think you can find that many of them around. The $120 is actually more common! They also did make a repro version of the one he has in the 60's, that's worth $5 but the thing with the lines would be hard to replicate[8D] Bleach? They have the repros for sale on eBay now, they're I think $6.65 or something each[&:]

Asterx

Reaction score
Probably printed on a laser jet from an original on the net or in his possession like you mentioned earlier. That paper doesn't look to authentic to me, but I'm not an expert on these labels. What category are these labels listed under in eBay generally, I'd like to look through some of them...

AlexD

Reaction score
The paper if they're loose is a good way to tell. If you hold it up to a light and you can nearly see through it that means it's real. The difference is like newspaper and craft paper. Category I'm not sure about. Try just searching "Coca-Cola Label".

druggistnut

Reaction score
He claims in his ad that it is a 1900's bottle but he put it in pre 1900 sodas. I think he screwed up and can't claim his "catagory" (category) defense.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
OK, I also filed a report.
Ebay said they would investigate, but also left me this message.
>The listing has items being sold without the owner's authorization. You didn't bid.<

Who is selling things without the owner's authorization, and why doesn't eBay stop THAT?
Bill

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles