Starting my bottle display in the barn....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ncbred ~

It may interest you to know that I saw that plexiglas display in the home of Rick Sweeney who, as you likely know, is one of the main contributing authors to the ACL Book. Rick lives here in the San Diego area. I heard from a reliable source (unconfirmed) that Rick sold his amazing collection a while back. He had the only "Big Hit" acl that I have ever seen or held.

Good luck with your project.

SPBOB

sodapops

Reaction score
museum putty
ORIGINAL: bottleopop

Another thing to consider is museum putty. It is transparent and colorless and if you want you can roll it right off the glass with a finger.
Thats a dang smart idea bottleopop, Im going to use that on my bottles on my shelves at the restaurant. man I learn somthing everyday[:D]

fishnuts

Reaction score
A very easy rail can be installed on the front edge of your two-bys. Select a piece of moulding from the local Home Depot that you like, cut to fit and nail across the front with at least a quarter inch raised from the shelf level. It'll provide a 'wall' so the bottles won't 'walk' over the edge. It make a nice finished edge with a good look and it doesn't interfere with looking at the bottles. Hopefully your barn doesn't have that much vibration, nor are you in a known earthquake area like our friends in So. Cal. Another trick for your next shelf system is to tip the shelf back 5 to 10 degrees so the bottles lean backwards a bit. The can't 'walk' up that little slope no matter how much vibration occurs...
The 2 x 4's should not sag because of their innate strength no matter how full you pack them, at least not over the span you show. I would screw them to the bracket bottoms...as it doesn't appear to have been done.
Looking good.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
It looks pretty good Dustin. I am going to have to do something with all my bottles too. My bookshelf is overrun!

green dragon

Reaction score
Looking good, I can only hope to have mine displayed sometime, need more room :)

~ AL

simpleman

Reaction score
Looks really nice. I use fishing line(10 lb. test) across the front of my shelves, tied to eyelet screws on both ends. However, you have a much longer span. Mine is about 28" so the fishing line works great. I would also definately add a brace in the middle of each shelf just to be safe. Like to see more pics when its complete.

9E88880F00F14912948A3ABD376994C8.jpg

Attachments

• 9E88880F00F14912948A3ABD376994C8.jpg
    9E88880F00F14912948A3ABD376994C8.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 78

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide