Surface dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digginfool

Reaction score
These are pics of a surface dump in Western Mass. I heard about the dump about 4 years ago, and actually went looking for it once. But very thick briars prevented me from finding it even though I had very good directions to it. But early spring seems like the best time to get by the briars right?

I arrived at 6:00pm when the sun was falling fast, but I found the dump pretty quick. Quick enough to see 150 intact bottles on the surface. Mostly unembossed. Embossed ones were broken and thrown to the side.

Planning on going back with a shovel tomorrow. see what else is there.

This pic, if you look close, shows an ink, insulators and bottles all on the surface.

P.S. The person who told me about the surface dump went into the woods to take a surface "dump". Serious.

Zx71109.jpg

Bixel

Reaction score
Planning on taking any of those insulators? If you take a bunch, and want to sell them, drop me a line and I will see what I can do![;)]

Thanks

Pettydigger

Reaction score
Hello digginfool, is that a large dump? Maybe probe it to see how deep it is, looks like your on to something there. Is frost still in the ground were you live? That can make it a bummer trying to dig. Update on what you find[:D]
Josh

digginfool

Reaction score
Hey petty, I found about 7 excavations, all with bottles and other glass all around them. The 7 spots were over a very large area(75x75)-none larger than 4Lx4Wx1D.

Bottles everywhere.......

here's another pic.

Wu60109.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60109.jpg
    Wu60109.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 85

Pettydigger

Reaction score
I would start right in a part someone else has already dug, dig straight down see if that shows any evidence of dump, as a rule, older glass is deeper than newer glass. It can be very difficult in shallow dumps to find bottles, I like the ones where an old ditch or ravine had been filled in with trash, it helps to narrow the search. Hope you have good luck on your dig. Take pics
Josh

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
I usually keep anything (whole) I find, unless it's cracked or they're's HUNDREDS of them laying around. Looks like you got some nice food bottles there!! I'm going to the dump today, hopefully, which is about 4 miles from my house. (I'm going BY BIKE, too. MAN I hate being 13!!) If I find one I'll take it and clean it up to show you what it looks like clean.[:D]

madman

Reaction score
hey digger boy i remember those bike days, i remember one time i found a ton of mason jars lying on the surface in a woods, i was about 5 miles from home put the jars in 5 gallon buckets hung on both handel bars rode home mike

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
At least you were lucky enough to have a bucket. I had to bring mine home in a plastic bag....[:'(]

madman

Reaction score
hey digger boy done the plastic bag also, good luck!! hope you find the jack pot!! mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday