The bottle gods were smiling on me! HOLY GRAIL FOUND

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Dug today... Went a bit late, so it was hard to see in the bottom of the hole... Then I decided to widen out the hole by collapsing one of the side walls. I was stabbing away at the packed ash, then suddenly I saw some rust in the hole. In this dump, the ash has no bottles, and rust usually does. So I switched to my scratchers and got to work. Soon, I saw a base sticking out. It had some rocks and stuff next to it, so my hopes weren't high. I saw "K. HUTTER" on the base, so I knew it was a blob... Fatefully, I took a picture of it, not knowing what to expect. Eventually I got it loose, and it didn't even cross my mind that I might have found my dream bottle. I saw it was whole, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Now, to see what it is. I turned it over, to get a look at the embossing. I didn't recognize it at first, because I'm not used to seeing pictorial bottles. But when I saw what the picture was, I lost bowel control and had a heart attack. Only one bottle this could be: a T.P. Meyer & Co. from Montclair!

It's the rarest local bottle I know of. Before I collected locals, I saw it for sale for $60 at the last Oakland show in November. I asked the guy about it, and he said it was one of only a few known. Add one to that list! [:)] A few other people have also confirmed that it is very rare. I estimate there are less than a dozen known, but I've only confirmed the existence of two so far. I couldn't ask for a better bottle. This bottle was tied with a Glen Ridge blob for the "Holy Grail" status on my list. And now I've dug one! [:)]

It's hardly in mint condition, but I've seen much worse. It's pretty sick, but if there's one bottle I'd pay a lot to tumble, it's this one. I'm going to do a lot of research into finding a good tumbler, as I HATE overtumbled bottles with a burning passion. There is a tiny base chip and small resulting crack, but I'm sure there's a way to fix that too. I'm just happy to have one at all, I'm likely to never come across another!

It's embossed "T.P. MEYER & CO/ (motif of a rooster)/ MONTCLAIR, N.J.". It's the only pictorial bottle I know of from Montclair. Extremely rare. Not much more to say.

3E02C2CBC7F74BFB9330952062BF4EF8.jpg

Im happy for you man! I feel your excitement,its freakin contagious.
Makes me wanna dig,[:D] Nice bottle.

Jim

Reaction score
Absolutely killer, congrats! There is nothing better than finding your most desired local bottle, especially when you dig it yourself.

The Holy Grail blob beer of my local collection is in worse shape than the one you found. I didn't get to dig it myself, as it is the only one known and was found in the river all the way back in the 1950s. On top of all that, I dropped a grand in cash for it (I don't regret it, either). Just for added torture, I did dig one once, in a thousand pieces. There, that should make you feel even better [:)]

Great pics and story, that is a dig that you will never forget. ~Jim

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cool pictured bottle! You really got a nice strike on the rooster / chicken. Chuck needs to get one of those the next time you find one. Great bottle, Congrats!

slag pile digger

Reaction score
Awesome Post!!! Nothing like turning over a bottle you dug and having your heart race like crazy. Brings me back to when I dug my Shohola Medicine!!!! Keep us posted on your finds. !!! Michael

surfaceone

Reaction score
It's the rarest local bottle I know of. Before I collected locals, I saw it for sale for $60 at the last Oakland show in November. I asked the guy about it, and he said it was one of only a few known. Add one to that list! [:)] A few other people have also confirmed that it is very rare. I estimate there are less than a dozen known, but I've only confirmed the existence of two so far. I couldn't ask for a better bottle. This bottle was tied with a Glen Ridge blob for the "Holy Grail" status on my list. And now I've dug one! [:)]

3E02C2CBC7F74BFB9330952062BF4EF8.jpg

Hey Connor,

Grail Bottle! - Grail Bottle!! - Grail Bottle!!!

Please accept my congratulations, as well. I hope you have added a replacement grail to your list, cuz I gotz good feelings about this little dump crater you're working on...

Not only that, but a swell assortment of other goodies. Have some mussels on me...

mussels-500.jpg

TJSJHART

Reaction score
HEY RED YOU BEAT ME TO IT WITH THAT DESCRIPTION IT CAME TO ME ALSO SHOE POLISH ...GREAT LOOKIN BOTTLE JUST THINK THERE MAY ME ANOTHER IN THE PIT... CONGRADS,,,

creeper71

Reaction score
Conner, You probly won't have to tumble that bottle.. all you probly going to need is a bottle brush set an a bottle of THE WORKS TOLIET CLEANER. What you will need to do is put the works inside the bottle 1/4 way up an surmerge in a bucket of water for aleast 2-3 days. checking on it after 2. after it has been soaking an your ready to clean the bottle have a another bucket of clean water an dump the water with the works out in the same bucket it was in then carefully drop the bottle into the clean water an rinse it off if there is anything sticking to the bottle use your bottle brushes. btw USE GLOVES WHEN USING THE WORKS OR YOU WILL GET MILD CHEMICAL BURNS ON YOUR HANDS. ALSO FOR YOUR SAFETY WEAR GOGGLES TO PROTECT YOUR EYES.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday