The Great Saturday Bottle Hunt (picture heavy)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Well, the day of the Great Bottle Hunt finally arrived........woke up early, got in the car, and began to drive the 72 miles (one way) to the site. Here is a detailed accounting of what happened.

Once I got to the site, I begun a painstakingly thorough and systematic search of the road and surrounding area. Here are some pictures of the road:

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01906.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

I searched this road for over 4 hours, this was first thing I found - a 1 pint NATIONAL DISTILLERS flask bottle......this is how I found it:

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

^ Being a total newbie to the hobby, I have absolutely no idea of the age/value/rarity of this bottle - maybe it's just worthless trash, but I have to have something to show for my efforts, so I am keeping it. Besides, I think it looks cool.

The next thing that happened was, I went to dig under a large Gray Pine tree and so I moved some old dead dry branches out of the way, and came face to face with this guy..........an adult Pacific Gopher Snake:

DSC01843.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

Because he was in the shade, his cold blood really was cold-blooded and so didn't move around much. I never pass up an easy opportunity to handle a non-poisonous snake. It is just rather difficult to hold a slithering snake in one hand, and a camera in the other hand, and try to get decent pictures......but I was able to manage it:

DSC01852.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

I let him slip out from under my foot, and he tried to go "anaconda" on me:

DSC01858.jpg

After the letting the snake go I dug under the tree and, naturally, didn't find anything. That was alright with me, because finding the snake had made it a fun and worthwhile experience.

The next thing that happened was, about an hour later I came a wide flat area near to where the old road ties in with the new road. It was a scene of horrific destruction.

Spread out over a very large extended area (not entirely shown in pictures) were the remains of hundreds of ACL bottles. I literally cried when I saw it. After thinking about it later in the day, I come up with the theory that after the road had been abandoned, hunters in the 50's and early 60's would camp in this area (there was several remains of hand-made stone fire rings), since back then they could still drive down to this area. Then they would shoot up their glass bottles before they left.

The murder scene:

DSC01873.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

Some pieces I recovered from the murder scene:

DSC01922.jpg

After so more searching, I found another flask bottle with a broken top. Then I found this bottle, this is how I found it:

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01880.jpg

^ I have no idea how old it is or anything. Could be a trash bottle, who knows at this point.

I found a survey benchmark in the area from 1942...........another clue as to when the newer road may have been built:

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

After I walked the road going back the other way to my car, I decided to switch tactics a bit. I thought to myself: "If the new road itself is 50 - 60 years old, why not look off of it"? And that's exactly what I did.

I happened to be looking on the passenger side slope of a very sharp curve, that was covered in Manzanita scrub (god that stuff is prickly!), what happened was that the driver had to slow down and the passenger, with the empty soda bottle sitting in between their legs decided it was as good a time as any to chuck the bottle out the window. That's my theory anyway.

This is what I found, and how I found it:

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

And then, not more than 15 feet away, I found this:

DSC01899.jpg

DSC01898.jpg

DSC01905.jpg

So, after about 6 hours of searching and getting mild heatstroke (very unpleasant I might add), this was the days haul:

DSC01908.jpg

Not bad, considering that it was my first time out actually looking for bottles. I will need help with identifying/dating/valuing these bottles, which I will post pictures that will enable this, later. I would also like some help on the best way to clean out the insides of these things. Right now I need a break.

I have decided that I will not be going back to the old dirt road, and here's why:

1. Not traveled enough, lack of litterbugs.
2. Too much soil displacement
3. Hunters/campers shot everything that was laying around

I may check out the other road when I am in the area, but I am not planning a special trip out there just to do bottles. And, it would have to be in the cooler months of the year. I realize now that finding that Big Chief bottle last weekend was an almost once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. Searching for complete old glass bottles off roads is very exhausting and draining work! My favorite finds of the day are the Royal Crown and 7Up soda bottles. I give the 7Up bottle to my girlfriend as a birthday present because her birthday is in five days from now. Even though they both have label fade, they are special to me because of all the work I did to find them. At least the glass of both of them is in great condition.

Oh, and here is one last shot of the scenery that I didn't really get to enjoy all that much because I had my head down:

DSC01866.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed this post, and happy hunting!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Great story telling talents, and great photos too. It was almost like being there. And although the landscape is somewhat different than here (farther south and east), it's the same kind of areas I seek out. But like you discovered, most of the good stuff is along the new/old highways that were built during the 1930s - 40s. And you are dead on about the heat, it can be killer at times. That's one reason why this time of year I dig under the big 'ol oak trees ... shade! Plus there is less liklihood of snakes. I'd bet money you were within a stones throw at some point from a rattler. Where there are gopher and other snakes, there's also rattlesnakes.

Your bottles are great. I especially like the 7up. And the tall brown one is a beer and once had a paper label of some kind. Most of it looks like 60s stuff like you said, but you can be sure there is earlier stuff out there somewhere. Some of my best finds are where the shoulder of the road widens enough for a passing tourist to pull over and take a break. Sometimes you will find bottles right at your feet, and other times you have to go farther down the slope for what I call "chucker"s." Those are the ones that some guy would say, "watch this." and then chuck a bottle as far as he could to impress his kids or sweetheart. But most of those don't survive the flight unless they happened to land in some brush. It's under that brush where I have found some of my best stuff. Sometimes clusters of a dozen or more.

Anyway, this is your thread and not mine. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone out there in the wilds, and to have faith there is still lots of glass to be found in such places. It's just a bummer that it's so d*** hot this time of year. [:mad:]

Thanks for sharing ... it was well worth the wait. And we will look forward to chapter two. By the way, you are no longer "Cali." From this point forward I will think of you as "The California Kid," (The man who went bottle hunting one day - and found a gold mine!)

SODAPOPBOB ... "The man who went bottle hunting (three weeks ago) and got "skunked!"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

Speaking of gold mines ... here's mine. (Julian, California). Except I had some help finding it. There was a big 'ol sign on the highway that said ... "GOLD MINE - TURN HERE" Lol [:D]

8FF18B7967D941C0AC01F67DFCF06D22.jpg

Attachments

• 8FF18B7967D941C0AC01F67DFCF06D22.jpg
    8FF18B7967D941C0AC01F67DFCF06D22.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 81

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cool post Calikid,
I love the way you brought us along and shared so many of the highlights. The snake was cool. We used to go 'snaking' and catch as many grass snakes as we could in this old dump area. Pretty fun. Your bottles are valuable to you because you worked for them but if you stick to bottle collecting long enough, they won't be your best ones. That's okay. You caught the bug and it looks like you're having good clean healthy fun. Best of luck out there!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Thank you for the enthusiastic and encouraging replies, Bobs!

I forget to mention that I also found a Maglite flashlight worth $20.00 in perfect working condition. It's funny because I needed one and was actually planning on buying one soon. And, I also found this United States Tobacco Company tin chew top which I thought was kinda cool. Finding the little things certainly helps to make the day sweeter.

DSC01921.jpg

Anyways, getting back to the bottles I did find.......here are pictures of the bottoms, maybe you can help me date them?

This is the bottom of the National Distillers flask bottle, it also says near the top of the bottle: FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE - what does this mean, why is it on there? Did it have anything to do with Prohibition? I've never seen this before.

DSC01915.jpg

This is the bottom of the 7UP bottle, any idea what the date is?

DSC01916.jpg

This is the bottom of one of the brown beer bottles, looks interesting I thought:

DSC01918.jpg

The Royal Crown Cola bottle doesn't have anything on the bottom of it...........any idea on a date?

Also, if you guys could be so kind, the the heck to you use to clean out the gunk inside these bottles!?!?

P.S. SPB - I have been to Julian many times! They have some great pies up there. Oh, and one more thing - how do you pick the right road so as not to deal with too much "modern" trash? Thanks much.

[align=right] [/align]

epackage

Reaction score
Beautiful sights even if you find no bottles, get yourself a good metal detector for the walk in and out, you never know....Jim

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Neat post, looks like your bottles are from 54 and 57. You need to find some place where there was human activity near those old roads (mines, etc.) and check that out.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator