The Great Saturday Bottle Hunt (picture heavy)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CalKid ~ [8D]

Here's a newbie's tool box I put together to get you started on dating bottles, etc. Starting with this link to a "Bottle Makers Marks" website. But please note - many bottles were made in one state at a glass plant, and then shipped to another state where the bottler was located. A lot of the soda bottles were made by the Owens-Illinois Glass Co. Their mark is easily recognized by a circle inside of a diamond shape. (See below). With the two number date typically being on the right side of the symbol. This site doesn't have all of the makers marks, but it has a lot of them. Go to Owens-Illinois for most of what you found, and "Maywood Glass Co.", Compton, Ca. for the beer bottle.

Link : http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Regarding how to clean the inside of a bottle, I have a special metal rod, but you can also use a wire coat hanger. Just straighten it out with a slight curve to it for reaching the inside/sides of the bottle, and then bend back the very tip of it for a rounded (non scratching) cleaning end. I used to crimp a little piece of rag on the tip, but anymore I just use a small piece of paper towel that can be easily removed and disposed of. And for some of the crustier stuff, you can use the rolled-tip to gently work the crud loose. Plus I use warm water and dish detergent. Rinse/dry and you got it! [8|]

It's kind of a long story as to why I personally don't dig dumps much anymore, which is where most of the good stuff is, but these days, (especially in Calif.) it almost takes an act of Congress to gain access to some of those properties. Plus, I'm older now, and I prefer finding my bottle laying on the ground like what I call the "Easter egg hunt method." I seek out old paved highways that I know were around in the 1920s and 30s, (and likely still used today like Route 66). In my case I prefer old Hyw 80 that used to run coast to coast from San Diego to, I believe, Georgia. Of course, I pretty much stick with S.D. county, and try to find places with lots and lots of heavy brush. The brush would have cushioned the bottles when they landed. It's a lot of crawling around on your hands and knees, but I guarantee there are bottles under there! I primarily do this between Thanksgiving and Easter when the snakes are hibernating and it's not so dang hot. Sure, you will find some newer stuff, as most of those old highways are still open, but there is old stuff to be found for sure. I carry a long-handled garden rake, (The narrow type with only four prongs) and use it to reach and dig around with. Plus it makes a great walking staff.

So there you have it - Bob's tool box of bottle hunting along old highways and identifying bottle ideas.

Good luck - and good hunting!

SPB

BEEEA44FCC5B43D285DF2D868D6DFA48.jpg

Attachments

• BEEEA44FCC5B43D285DF2D868D6DFA48.jpg
    BEEEA44FCC5B43D285DF2D868D6DFA48.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 71

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's some of the Owens-Illinois Plants.

AFECEF58F6074D32B4810ED9B7341377.jpg

Attachments

• AFECEF58F6074D32B4810ED9B7341377.jpg
    AFECEF58F6074D32B4810ED9B7341377.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 70

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And if you happen to run across some of those Glenshaw Glass Co. bottles, which we all do from time to time, here's some info on how to date them. Their mark is a "G" inside of a box. And be sure to have a magnafying glass handy for seeing the small letters on the lip. You'll need it! [8|]

P.S. ~ Your whiskey bottle is an Owens-Illinois, with the 49 likely being the date it was made - thus not a prohibition bottle that would date between around 1920 and 1933.
6009F0C102884335BA9F2E9FB34063B6.jpg

Attachments

• 6009F0C102884335BA9F2E9FB34063B6.jpg
    6009F0C102884335BA9F2E9FB34063B6.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 74

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CalKid ~

One final thought about crawling around under the brush looking for bottles; I am often asked if I have a problem with ticks when doing this. Answer: I rarely have a problem with ticks, as I have learned from years of hunting deer, etc., (and, of course, bottles) that ticks need warm blooded mammals for the blood they need for reproduction purposes. And although I don't know exactly how a tick thinks, I do know they are smart enough to figure out that deer and other warm blooded critters usually don't frequent roadside brush. On the other hand, if I happen to be walking along a well used deer trail through the brush, I will often pick up lots of them. Thus, the easiest way to avoid them is, whenever possible, stay off the game trails. And even if you should pick up one from time to time, it's not the end of the world. In short, it has never been enough of a problem to stop me from crawling on my belly to get to that "Sunset" bottle that is just begging me to crawl in there and grab it. [:D] Rattlesnakes, on the other hand, are a horse of a different color that we have already talked about.

SPB

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Here's some info on your question regarding Federal Law Prohibits...

http://www.bottlebooks.com/federal_law_prohibits_.htm

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CalifKid ~

Now that you have been bit by the "Bottle Bug," I'd say you are ready for the big league. If you haven't already stumbled onto this website, it is likely the most extensive one of it's kind. It covers everything you ever wanted to know about Historic Glass, but were afraid to ask. I have never heard of a bottle collector who didn't enjoy this site. Nor have I yet to hear of anyone (myself included) who has read through every single part of it. I tap into it on a regular basis, but am always discovering new side-links etc; that keep taking me where few "Treckers" have gone before. Lol [:D]

I hope you enjoy it, and find it useful.

SPB

Link : http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
epackage -

That very thought crossed my mind.

cobaltbot -

Glad you enjoyed my post. Yeah it looks like the 7up bottle is a '57.

Poison_Us -

Funny you should mention that, because I get that a lot when I post pictures of California online.

bottle_head9 -

Thank you. I was pretty stoked when I found it.

pyshodoodle -

Thank you for that link, saved to bookmarks.

SODAPOPBOB -

Thanks for the info and links. So, you don't use chemicals to clean your bottles then? I saw some of the methods used in the "Clean & Repair" section of the site. The Limeaway and cut up copper wire one seems to bring good results. Does it damage the bottles at all? I don't want any damage, that's for sure.

Ok, so you go crawling around on hands and knees in the underbrush. Don't those prickly fallen live oak leaves hurt!?!? How far off of the roads do you search, 30 feet? Do you find them mostly by raking and listening for a sound of contact with glass, or do you spot them? Do you ever search the places above a road, or just the slopes below? And one last question, have you ever been hassled by the cops, wondering what you are doing?

BTW, you will never catch me digging in a dump, never!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CalifKid ~

Aren't you supposed to be at work or something? Lol [:D] {No need to respond to that question). I just thought I would sneak all that stuff in while your back was turned.

1. Not much Manzanita at the elevations I usually search in. Most of that stuff is higher up. But, yes ... I would venture it if I had too. But definitely not on a regular basis.

2. The distances varies. But generally within 50 feet or so. I make a zig-zag pattern as I walk. I don't worry about the clearly visible bottles, (you can't miss those) but focus my eyes for partial exposures that sometimes are no bigger than a nickle. And if the sun is just right, you can usually scan a fairly large area and look for the "glint" of light reflecting off the bottles. And, yes ... I rake around and always get excited by the "clink!" sound you mentioned.

3. I have found some of my best bottles on the "high-side" of the road. With a population of appx. 2 1/2 million people in the county, I'm not the only "hunter" to have gone through some of those areas. But I have learned that most bottle hunters rarely search these "high-sides," nor will many of them crawl where no human being should be. They prefer the "easy pickings," not realizing the good stuff is right there in at their feet, but under the brambles and branches. I am not allergic to anything, and thankfully don't have to worry about poison oak, etc.

4. I wouldn't call it being hasseled, but this part of the country is thick, (and I mean thick - like one passing by every five minutes) with Border Patrol personnel. I never have a problem with them, and on the rare ocassion they have questions for me, they always accept my bottle hunting explaination. Plus, for safety sake, I always leave a visible note in the seat of my car saying I am near by and will return shortly. Plus I leave my cell phone number just in case.

But, for me, the oddest thing of all is with the general passing cars. I know they think I'm homeless or something and looking for aluminum cans, which kind of makes me feel a little weird. But I have just learned to shrug it off as no big deal. Besides, I spend most of my time in the brush where no one can see me anyway. Although, I have often wondered what the Border Patrol think when they sit on hill tops with binoculars as they often do, and see me crawling around under the brush. But not once have I ever been "hasseled" over any of this. In fact, the times I have shown them my finds, they think it's just about the coolest thing they ever saw.

Hopefully this will answer your questions, and encourage you to "hit the brush." If you find a virgin piece of ground, it will blow your mind how many bottles there are to be found. Lots of common brands, but some harder to find stuff as well.

Happy hunting,

SPB

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
lol, yes I am supposed to be working, but you have distracted me!

Oh man, no wonder you were complaining about the heat.......I just looked up old HWY 80 and where it goes. Have you taken it as far east as El Centro?

Concerning the "high sides" of roads, I just assumed that there wouldn't be much of anything on a high side because of the extra effort it would have taken to loft a bottle up there out of a moving car (especially for the driver). What if it's a cut of 10 feet or more, is it still worth searching?

You are very lucky that you aren't allergic to anything. I have really bad seasonal allergies, and of course I get poison oak too. Thankfully where I was on Saturday didn't have any - too high and dry (I was at about 3,500 feet)

I know what you man about looking homeless. I tried my best not to be seen when cars went by...........got a few strange looks because they were seeing me hundreds of yards before they saw my parked car, they must have been thinking "What the devil is this guy doing out in the middle of nowhere looking for trash"?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I have been on quite a bit of old Hyw 80, but a lot of it is freeway now (Inerstate 8). Around here we call El Centro, "Hell-Centro," because it's pure desert, except for the irrigated farm lands, and is likely 110+ degrees down there right now. Currently its 85* here. I used to search old Hwy. 94 along the U.S. and Mexico border, but that part of the county gives me the "willies." Too much drug trafficing, etc., and the Border Patrol are not as understanding down that way. I found a brand new Mercedes Benz once that was over an embankment and had crashed under a canopy of brush. I reported it, but never did hear anything more about it. It looked like it was intentionally done. Probably stolen or full of marijuana or something. I never even touched the car, and just flagged down the next Border Patrolmen I saw and reported it.

I'm surprised by the "high side" finds too. But I think it evolves back to those "watch this" type of guys who thought they were chucking hand grenades instead of bottles. But for the most part, I'd say 20 feet would be about the limit on checking those kind of places.

SPB

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH