The Half-Leaf Mold Cavity welded repair.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all of you, I decided to bring this subject up again because I am still looking for samples. I see a lot of you are selling bottles. If you have any with these marks in the glass - I am interested. I have found quite a few SARATOGA Mineral Water Bottles with this mark on the glass. What I really need is two bottles with the same mark on the glass, so I can overcome the idea that a lot of people have expressed about the mark being the result of a pinched web of glass from a mold seam.
I have even found one that has two marks X'd one over the other with entangled embossing near them.
If you have anything like this let me know. If you want to read about the marks and see sample pictures - check out my homepage blog on the subject. RED Matthews

GuntherHess

Reaction score
So far I have never see two bottles with the same mark on them.
I dont think its a repair but I would be perfectly happy if you could prove me wrong.
I'll keep looking.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Red,
Keep up the great work and I love your posts. Having said that, I am also inclined to respectfully disagree. When I look through the bottom at the one I found, I can see that the glass is thicker in the area where the anomaly was. I think that gives credibility to the 'pinched' glass (in-the-mold) theory. If it was a mold repair, there would be no reason for the glass to be thicker in that spot. Additionally, I have seen several examples of the bottle I found and none of them featured the anomaly. At this point, I would be surprised if your theory better represented reality. Having said that, I love all that you do to enlighten us on the subtle art of glassmaking.

gbenny67

Reaction score
Hey Red
sorry nothing good to report. infact this is more to my benifit i was wondering if youd do me a big favor. i have this bottle poss an inkwell can you take a peek and give mew your impression on the bottom markings do they look like mold repair marks (half leaf) to you ? to me yes but there would seem to be several (3-4). bottom pic is attached. what do you think sir? view more pics in this forum /topic: gen bottle talk / sub: green gem >emerald/ thank you for ur time.
BENNY

9AECFB37CF544F4CB3E4685094C5E61B.jpg

Attachments

• 9AECFB37CF544F4CB3E4685094C5E61B.jpg
    9AECFB37CF544F4CB3E4685094C5E61B.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members