The largest bottle club in the USA isnt represented at shows!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
I was just at a bottle show and talked to and spent time with members of this forum, people I talk to all the time on the internet. Thing is I didnt know it!

Does anyone else feel the we need to organize and personalize this forum? I talked to Roger years ago about buying the forum to revamp and organize it, he wasn't interested because he didnt want to see anyone have control over it which I understood completely.

The problem with that is that this forum is the largest bottle club in the country, and there is no representation at shows, no personal experience, its all on the internet except for when forum members make pre-show plans to meet up. I think its time to take this forum to the next level, put a face on it, have a table at every show, possibly sponsor our own show? Does anyone else feel like taking this to the next step? We would need regional reps, a president, vice pres, treasure and fund raising. I actually developed a business plan for the forum years ago, and even if we were not to organize an individual club shouldn't we at least join the federation as a club? Possibly merge with the federation?

tigue710

Reaction score
I think we can do something really great with this, something really good for the hobby. Years past have seen bottle clubs dry up and close their doors, but look at the amount of people who have been reached through the internet. Taking it out of cyber space and to the real world can only be beneficial for the forum and the hobby

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've only been making it to 1 or 2 shows a year, the money vice has me by, well.
There are about 6 in the NE area I try to attend and always feel out who might be at the one I go to. When I get there I usually ask the sellers if they know of this place when I don't recognize them. The percent range is only about 15% saying they are at least familiar and about 5% say "hey, hows it going". OK, I made up those numbers but it's really not all that many.
There are so many passer by's here that it's hard to get a true figure. The short of it is we are a small community with some collector followers.
I'm looking forward to the FOHBC being here next year. No, I'm not sick of the same old faces, it's always a joy but I really hope to meet some I've never met. That and it happens to be within 40 miles of here. Otherwise it would be another lost show.
Does your business plan include free food, travel, accommodations and lost wages for members? [:D][:D][:D] I'm up for that for sure.[:D]

jays emporium

Reaction score
Tigue, I'm not sure what you have in mind but I would be in favor of organizing a club, at least to become a member of FOHBC. Ferdinand Meyer at least knows who we are because he mentioned ABN in his first President's Message in Bottles & Extras magazine. Perhaps he is even a member of this forum, I just don't know his user name.
Anyway, we have more "active" members than any traditional bottle club and I think it would be a good idea to be represented in FOHBC and get the word out about our site. Without knowing any of the details, that is my first impression on this idea.
Jay

Wheelah23

Reaction score
We are a great deal stronger than any bottle club; not only do we have a ton of members, but we have meetings every day! If we were to harness the potential of this unique collecting community, we could certainly accomplish something great...

Wilkie

Reaction score
Matt,

I just purchased your book, just a second a go. The last thing I had from you was your 2008 price guide on cd. You did a good job on that, I just wish it had photos. Your book looks good from the few page I saw. What does the cover look like? Color? What kind of binding? Doesn't matter, I bought it anyway, just curious.

Tim

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

you have never herded cats?

what?

As for a business plan I had drawn up for the forum it was with the intention of buying it and re organizing while also joining it with a magazine and auction. What I'm talking about now is a whole new idea, that the old plan wouldn't apply to but could be borrowed from. I wouldn't want to to change the way the forum looks and works, but possibly make the interface more user friendly. Selling bottle related advertising space come to mind to raise revenue while also sponsoring some type of auction. If we could create an income we can afford to buy a table at shows and compensate regional representative for their time. There is even the possibility of a show to raise revenue. While revenue isn't the main concern, it requires money to have any type of active group organization that wants to represent itself on a national level. The real goal would be bringing the forum to all collectors, and bringing collectors to the forum while also growing our hobby. It would require a lot of volunteer time from members interested, but I do not think we would have to charge dues. If the federation was interested and we wanted to join with them we could connect the forum with the federation, and they could help sponsor each other. Outside of the auction houses and magazines this forum and the federation are some of the largest national forces in the bottle world. While the federation is highly respected, well organized and patronized by most of our hobbies most noted individuals this forum is where many new and young collectors are first exposed to the hobby, which is an area the federation is trying to reach out to. One wouldn't have to become a member of the federation to join the forum, but the forum could be sponsored by the federation so to say. If that was the case the then ABN could be represented with the Federation at shows. Of course this is all just imagination at this point, I do not even know if the federation would be interested, but I see it being beneficial for them and the forum.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

you have never herded cats?

lLOL I can see it

CDAA9132836747B5ADED781FBF370A4C.jpg

Attachments

• CDAA9132836747B5ADED781FBF370A4C.jpg
    CDAA9132836747B5ADED781FBF370A4C.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 83

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I just purchased your book, just a second a go. The last thing I had from you was your 2008 price guide on cd. You did a good job on that, I just wish it had photos. Your book looks good from the few page I saw. What does the cover look like? Color? What kind of binding? Doesn't matter, I bought it anyway, just curious.

Thanks for the order. If you arent 100% happy with it let me know and you will get a refund, no questions asked.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen