The largest bottle club in the USA isnt represented at shows!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds
I look upon the forum as the second most important thing the Yanks have usurped from Great Britain[:D]

LOL! [:D]

Matt L - I'm of the opinion that organizing and having a presence at regional shows would be most effective. Creating "business" cards, bumper stickers, and appealing clothing to be distributed and sold would likely increase the traffic here a great deal. Members of this forum with products or publications they want to sell would be well served by active advertising of the presence of this community. If Roger was inclined to expand and improve the buy/sell/trade section and a fair fee ("donation") structure created to support the forum it would be great for everybody involved. I'd happily put an ABN bumper sticker on the truck, right next to my "One man gathers what another man spills" sticker [:)].

Heck, something as simple as creating tasteful flyers to be passed out to the dealers/buyers at shows would be great, and no paid table is necessary for that. Putting up such flyers on bulletin boards at markets and antique malls would be easy and probably just as effective.

Personally, I'm more interested in the possibility for collaborative research and information-sharing. If the edit function was restored, or if a sub-forum created where posts are allowed to be edited, then the creation of lists/catalogs of known bottles by region and type could be created and maintained, and research on glasshouses compiled, polished, shared and improved upon. I bet lots of folk would make lists if the environment was more conducive to maintenance and editing. I've got Med bottles not represented in Matt K's database for example, and if it were easier to get people's attention and have them contribute to various similar projects then there would be far more complete and reliable informational resources available to collectors. I'd really like to see organized threads/subforums devoted to collecting information and images for such purposes, especially for future editions of Matt K's book and his Nexus. It is a wonderful service to collectors and it would be great if all the collectors reciprocated by helping him make it as comprehensive as possible. Same goes for Bruce Mobley and his database, etc.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
A US or international bottle database would be amazing .. but difficult to fit in the framework of software like this.
We would need lots of sub-sections to organize it properly; country, state, county, and town for each bottle category.. that would be huge..

cyberdigger

Reaction score
As Gunnymeds reminds us, I started a forum for New Jersey collectors last year, and the model we came up with hints at what can be achieved with a hybrid database/forum: njbottles.com

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

As Gunnymeds reminds us, I started a forum for New Jersey collectors last year, and the model we came up with hints at what can be achieved with a hybrid database/forum: njbottles.com

I hadnt seen you site Charlie, awesome! More bottle stuff to read, I'm excited...

One thing I would add as an improvement to the forum is a more comprehensive and easy to use list of links to bottle related sites, such as yours... I have over 100 bookmarks all about bottles, but even in my "bookmark" folder they are slightly difficult to use and remember which is which sometimes. A link with a picture and brief explanation of each site would be great...

I'm more then willing to put time into these things too

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds
I look upon the forum as the second most important thing the Yanks have usurped from Great Britain[:D]

LOL! [:D]

Matt L - I'm of the opinion that organizing and having a presence at regional shows would be most effective. Creating "business" cards, bumper stickers, and appealing clothing to be distributed and sold would likely increase the traffic here a great deal. Members of this forum with products or publications they want to sell would be well served by active advertising of the presence of this community. If Roger was inclined to expand and improve the buy/sell/trade section and a fair fee ("donation") structure created to support the forum it would be great for everybody involved. I'd happily put an ABN bumper sticker on the truck, right next to my "One man gathers what another man spills" sticker [:)].

Heck, something as simple as creating tasteful flyers to be passed out to the dealers/buyers at shows would be great, and no paid table is necessary for that. Putting up such flyers on bulletin boards at markets and antique malls would be easy and probably just as effective.

Personally, I'm more interested in the possibility for collaborative research and information-sharing. If the edit function was restored, or if a sub-forum created where posts are allowed to be edited, then the creation of lists/catalogs of known bottles by region and type could be created and maintained, and research on glasshouses compiled, polished, shared and improved upon. I bet lots of folk would make lists if the environment was more conducive to maintenance and editing. I've got Med bottles not represented in Matt K's database for example, and if it were easier to get people's attention and have them contribute to various similar projects then there would be far more complete and reliable informational resources available to collectors. I'd really like to see organized threads/subforums devoted to collecting information and images for such purposes, especially for future editions of Matt K's book and his Nexus. It is a wonderful service to collectors and it would be great if all the collectors reciprocated by helping him make it as comprehensive as possible. Same goes for Bruce Mobley and his database, etc.

great ideas Steven, or should I say Saint Steven? (sorry I cant help but notice a grateful dead reference!)

surfaceone

Reaction score
I hope this puts things into perspective, next to my family this forum and its unbelievably knowledgeable Members are what I love most.

- Roger

Thanks, Roger,

For all you have done here, and so beautiffuly putting it in perspective. Love on...

love-on-dark-red.jpg

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Roger. Sorry to hear of the health problems. Getting old is really a bad plan, always some part failing.

tigue710

Reaction score
Roger, thank you for this forum and weighing in on the discussion. I'm glad to hear your open to some of the new ideas and sorry to hear about your health. We will keep on making this one of the most comprehensive guides to bottle collecting and the gathering place online for bottle collecting enthusiasts.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen