The So Obvious Dig.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
That pic came off of ebay from a local salem collector that sold one on ebay a while back...

The neck on the cattell's is very slender compaired to all my other mineral waters..

ORIGINAL: KBbottles

I think they are cursed!!  Are those some variations in color Andy?    Here's the example on bottle den too...

http://bottleden.com/APS2/images/856.jpg

Such a shame but hey there's hope!  Did you recover any heads or were they all sacrificed to the dippers?
Jump to: Select a ForumAll Forums---------------------- [Bottle Forums] - - Help - Using the Forum - - What is it? BEFORE 1900 - - What is it? AFTER 1900 - - Digging and Finding - - New to the Collection - - Cleaning and Repairing - - Displaying and Photographing - - Announce Antique Bottle Shows and Club Activities - - Current Auctions and Sales - - General Chat About Bottles - - General Chat - - Unexpected Discoveries - - Poisons - - Sodas - Embossed, Paper Label and ACLs. - - Unanswered Questions - - Reproduction bottles and jars. - - Historic Glass Bottle Website - - Members Forum Auctions [Pot Lids] - - Pot Lids General discussion [Jars] - - Jars General discussion [Marbles] - - Marbles [Trade] - - Buy, Sell & Swap [Miscellaneous] - - Prized Possession - - Suggest a Website or resource. - - SCAMS and FRAUDS - - Looking for Digging Partners?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Uniformly headless is a shame and accurate -- those are beautiful mineral waters and I still covet finding an intact one out of the ground.  Here are a few headless horsemen that we got out of a shallow, woodlined pit in Salem right on Broadway a couple of years ago.  There were about a dozen more green and cobalt examples smashed to pieces.  Also typical is that the only intact soda was from Philadelphia -- here a nice example of a "Riddle" with a script "R".  Nice digs and cool historic town.

83DADD03B8864CB1903667112DE2CD56.jpg

[/quote]

wow! did they bite the tops off of those things or what! Real cool pottery.I got to gey my azz out and get some permissions [:D]

redbeardrelics

Reaction score
I have read accounts of the glasshouse workers in Baltimore during the 1880' and 90's deliberately breaking any soda or beer bottles they consumed. It was reported that they believed this would help ensure they would recieve more orders to manufacture more bottles, and hence have more job security.
Something to consider, especially if these bottles were found in a neighborhood where glass house workers or their relatives may have lived?

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
Would be a good thought. The large find in the later pictures came from a hotel tavern type est. The one I dug came from what may have ben a wealthy families home.. but for sure there were many glass house workers in this town. The mysteries of the privy finds continue

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: redbeardrelics

I have read accounts of the glasshouse workers in Baltimore during the 1880' and 90's deliberately breaking any soda or beer bottles they consumed. It was reported that they believed this would help ensure they would recieve more orders to manufacture more bottles, and hence have more job security.
Something to consider, especially if these bottles were found in a neighborhood where glass house workers or their relatives may have lived?
I don't quite understand this reasoning. Whether the tops were broken off or they thrown down the privy whole would still mean that the bottles would be out of circulation, thus giving the bottle blowers more job security as it was related.

THE BADGER

Reaction score
GREAT STUFF YOU GUYS DUG,BUNCH OF NICE PIECES AND THOSE CATTELS ARE NICE TOO.I KEEP MY BROKEN SODAS ALSO AND SHARDS ALSO.THERE IS A GUY NEAR HERE THAT WANTS TO BUY ALL MY SHARDS FOR SOME KIND OF ART HOBBY HE DOES. BADGER

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: redbeardrelics

Im glad they didn't have that stupid superstition around here[8D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960