The way we pay taxes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I stumbled across this and or someone emailed it to me. I thought there is a grain of truth in there somewhere. Im not the first guy and Im not the last guy w regards to the example. Enjoy and if your ever in southern maine I will be happy to buy you a beer and talk bottles any day that Im not working early the next day[;)].

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

•The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
•The fifth would pay $1.
•The sixth would pay $3.
•The seventh would pay $7.
•The eighth would pay $12.
•The ninth would pay $18.
•The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20."

Drinks for the ten now cost just $80

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay! And so...
•The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
•The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
•The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
•The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
•The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
•The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

bostaurus

Reaction score
I like that. May have to send it to my brother...
My husband just started a new job after getting laid off a few months ago. Even though it pays better he will be bringing home less because of the tax brackets.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Im for a flat tax myself in my eyes it seems the fairest to all, but what do I know Im not as edgumacateded as the ones that write the tax laws.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
There's no $20.00 to divide...................just an $80.00 tab to pay.

Now tell me, what nation has a friendlier tax code for rich than the U.S.A.?

Spin that one.[;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

There's no $20.00 to divide...................just an $80.00 tab to pay.

Spin that one.[;)]
[;)]

bostaurus

Reaction score

I think you just threw out an question that is almost impossible to argue...at least here on the forum. There are 196 countries in the world, give or take, and I doubt even the best tax accountant would not be able to decipher them all.
There is the possibility that there are countries that have a better tax code for the wealthy....I doubt we will ever know and be totally unable to do any spinning
I am sure someone on either side of the argument will try though.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Nah, that aint a hard queston to answer..............you have heard that expression

"Google is your friend" ?

I found this http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/tax-rates-u-highest-world-183946787.html in about 10 seconds.

Now if your rich friends wants a real tax break out of America I'd suggest some Sub Saharan African nation.

You do have rich friends do you not? Another question for ya, how many rich people or children of rich people did you meet who were serving in the Armed Forces while your family/husband served?

When I use the term rich, I mean RICH, not some upper middle class famly who still has to work. Me I don't know anyone who is rich. I know a few millionairs, but that aint rich nowdays.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
You got to love google. They are saying Maldives looks to be at the top. No income tax, no sales tax, no property or capital gains tax.

bostaurus

Reaction score
I actually knew several folks in the military that were kids from very well to-do families. There is a notion that folks go into the military because they need the job or the training and some of that may be the case. What they are finding though is that the major factor influencing someone joining the military is whether you had family members in the military. Our military is becoming a force heavily manned by 'military families" where service has become a tradition. Some of those families are well off.

Know some folks here in the well-to-do range, most of them heading into their 60's and 70's, and looking forward to retiring, if they can.
Wealthy is a hard word to define well. There are some down here in Louisiana that would be considered wealthy but not in New York City.

I guess that definition is where I have a problem...Tax the wealthy! $250,000 , really....well off maybe but not wealthy.
If you are really wealthy, you can afford the accountant that knows the loopholes anyway.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Rich is the guy from Arizona who won the power ball. 100 Million lump sum. He is in his 30s. I wish he was my friend[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen