Todays Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
We got into a square woodliner on the west side of baltimore. The list of finds includes
1 deep amber open pontiled Umbrella Ink
1 Teal Iron pontil P. Babb / Balto Soda
1 aqua open pontil Stabler & Co. Baltimore Druggists
1 Pontiled fancy cologne from York P.A. i don't remember the name
2 pontiled Basket Colognes
several pontiled puffs
1 smooth base fancy cologne
1 unembossed green squat smooth base
1 blue banded mocha bowl

The real crier of the hole was the broken blue Cole Ten Pin soda. Why are they almost always broken. the pic is of my share of the finds.

Wu59796.jpg

baltbottles

Reaction score
WE had another Good dig sunday. Heres a pick of my share of the finds. Not many intact bottles in this hole but some nice glue back pottery.

Chris

Pn36707.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36707.jpg
    Pn36707.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 57

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Chris, Cool finds. I don't know of anyone who has found a chamber pot in a privy before.[8D] A child probably droped it in while emptying it.[:(] Nice stuff.[:)]

Bixel

Reaction score
On my first privy dig in the summer, we found at least 1 broken chamber pot. Has reason for being there. We still need to get back and try and find the last few pieces. We found alot of glue back pottery, including alot of tea cups, and some plates. A couple of the tea cups had years marked on them of manufacture, including one that was 1867. This was an awesome first experience for my friend and I as it was our first privy dig, and we are 17, and im sure there are lots more of those to come. Its ood really, some people you ask, say was can dig on their property, and some dont seem to trust us because of our age.... but we have a couple awesome spots lined up for the spring![:)]

baltbottles

Reaction score
Capsoda,

Thats supprising almost every privy we dig has a couple broken ones in it. Its pretty rare to get whole ones or ones were you atleast find all the pieces to so you can glue them back together.

Insulators Rule!,
Don't feel bad I'm 25 and the last person i asked for permission to dig told me i must be crazy. But that don't stop me from finding other places to dig. You mite want to try to find some early maps of your town and look for empty lots were a house once stood. I do a lot of digging on empty lots and abandoned houses, and construction sites.

Chris

Bixel

Reaction score
Yah, i have tried to get old maps from my town, and I do have a town map from 1878 telling me where all the older houses in town were. My town isnt super old, only formed about 1832..... and didnt have many residents until about 1855... 1860s it started to take off with the railroad, but we are in Canada, so it was alot later then the United states to really get settled, especially here in Ontario. My only privy dig was a complete success, we found some KILLER local bottles, some that people who have been in the hobby for 30 years havnt even dreamed about digging themselves........

Thanks,
Kyle Waters

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Insulators Rule...

Hey, Kyle... It's great to see younger folks like yourselves getting into this hobby. Congrats on the successful dig at your privy.

I don't dig that much, I'm into diving and rooting around in the mud for them, but a friend of mine digs privy's all the time and he got into a habit of photographing his digs, from start to finish. He keeps his photos in a portfolio and brings it with him when seeking permission to dig, so that he can show the home owner how he digs, how he covers the lawn/grass with tarps, how he carefully cuts out the grass, how he digs, what he finds, how he picks up the trash and how he fills it back in and that he returns later to tamp down the dirt and reseed the area.

He gets a lot of permitted privy digs and he could sure give you some advice that could help you in the future... He's on the forum too. That would be Bram Hepburn AKA "DowneastDigger" [;)]

Keep diggin,

Wayne

aussiebottlo

Reaction score
Chris great finds, I like the blue and white plates here is one I found last week while diving in Darling river down here is Aus.

Sp45232.jpg

Attachments

• Sp45232.jpg
    Sp45232.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 67

capsoda

Reaction score
I got a few museum quality pieces,at least this is what you see in museums around here. I could swear they were whole when I donated them years ago. There was also a fine display like mine in the court house but they got embarrassed and put it away.

The head people what be in charge of that stuff are not from here. They just came here to steal our 400+ years of heritage.[:mad:]

Sorry for going on like that. I don't donate any more.[:)]

Very nice plate John.[:)]

Wu60312.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60312.jpg
    Wu60312.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60

David E

Reaction score
Your plates are called Blue Willow and worth a few bucks.
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=topsearchbox.search&query=Blue+Willlow

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie