TV production company looking for real 'diggers'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Her style is probably out of date, but at least she has the right idea. I want to be the head of wardrobe on this show.
1. Shoes -check
2. Bucket puller (s) -check
3. Laur as stylist -check

GuntherHess

Reaction score
if every man woman and child in america found and dug a crapper there'd still be more to find. The bottles in the ground belong to anyone and everyone. Share the wealth.

Bottle communism, hmm interesting idea comrade...
There are probably enough Bromoseltzers, Vaseline, or Rawleighs bottles to go around but I fear we are going to run short of Stoddard medicines real quick[:D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I think some of you are over-reacting. Bottle digging is WORK...pure & simple. Often it is unrewarding as well. Most people who may initially be moved or inspired to dig will likely abandon their efforts after spending all day digging holes and failing to find any "valuable" bottles...they may not find any at all. It is discouraging.....as all of us are aware.[/align]There's fellows who know exactly where I dig and not one of them has bothered to venture in & lift a shovel. In some instances, if not for me taking newbies to dumps here, they'd lie nearly undisturbed for years.[/align]In another case, several of us were digging a dump and while the neighbors were interested in our finds...not one of them ran home to get a shovel and not one of them had ever bothered to dig the dump lying practically in their own backyards.[/align]Treasure magazines featuring bottle digging articles have been around for ages. Bottle magazines with digging stories have been published for decades. Bottle shows are heavily advertisied and held allover the world, also for decades. This Forum and others like it can be accessed by millions over the Web. Yet, some of you are saying all this bottle activity should be squelched and driven underground ? And the reasoning is - exactly what?[/align]I don't see now nor have I ever seen a mad rush by people to suddenly dig bottles in hopes of getting rich. I believe the majority of people are far more grounded in reality than to expect that to occur.[/align]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Thanks LOBEY...I really do value your judgements in most instances...[:D]

(if you're not being sarcastic that is. With you, it's often difficult to know)[;)]

Like to also add..(while I'm on the soapbox):
I'd like to believe none of us are in the Hobby solely for the monies...that we all have this need to seek out bottles, enjoy learning about same and appreciate the intrinsic worth far more than dollar value. Bottles are pieces of history you can hold in your hand...and easily pass along to future generations.[/align]Not everyone has this ability , that we as bottle collectors possess - to see beyond the dollar sign, to see the inner beauty and special significance a particular bottle holds for us. In this I feel we are unique and, being unique in this sense is why it's so hard to recruit new collectors into the Hobby. Digging is indeed work. A work that requires a different set of values or a different type of drive than other hobbies...such as Stamps, Cards, Comics,Coins...[/align]Although I share some of the same reservations posted here,( just not to the same degree), I think if a TV show can sway more people to join our Hobby, then I welcome the show. [/align]

"After all - there's power in numbers."

GuntherHess

Reaction score
True, the average times used for new metal detectors is about 3 times I think, before people stow them in a closet. Most people wont do the work or dont have the patience to find good stuff.
Dosent matter though there are McDonald's give-a-way toys and other knick-knacks out there to collect. Much easy to acquire. Something for everyone[:D]

JGUIS

Reaction score
That's the thing. It's not that info shouldn't be out there for the true diggers, and not like it already isn't. Info is always available to those who look for it. The boob tube isn't a research tool. It's an advertising venue, with some entertainment overtones. If there's morons out ther who will steal grounding straps off of active electric substations, there's morons out there who will see a show about making money in your own backyard, and try to cash in. Why the need for exposure? Is it the chance to cash in on your 15 minutes? How about this, spend your life digging and researching what you love. Write a book and have it published. Go down in history forever by having the title of "finder of one of a kind bottle", don't sell out for something petty and shortlived. If it's a valid search for someone, don't think that whoever digs and talks is going to have any say in the final edit. They'll spin it to viewers, not to diggers.

tigue710

Reaction score
now thats what I'm saying. A show could generate interest of course, but we need new diggers. There where probably 100's of thousands more people digging in the 60's then there are now, I doubt a t.v. show will generate as much interest as word of mouth did back then in todays lazy "do it for me" society. Beside everyone seems to know someone who has or does collect bottles as it is...

and someone will end up doing this show...

If I was to do a show like this I would talk down value, talk up beauty and eye appeal and of course spread the word how diggers are a bunch of great hard working people who dig out of love for the hobby and not monetary value...

I think this show could be a great tool to generate good interest for the hobby, making it easier to get permission to dig and dismiss the rumors that bottles are worth a bunch of money...

Doug I understand your concern, but I could keep a camera busy for 10 years in the t.o.c. dumps and never mention a privy except in passing when I exclaim that privy diggers are nuts and never get any good bottles... let someone else do that!

portland med. man

Reaction score
me and a friend was asked by a producer to do a short story on privie and dump digging , it was a well known show the producer was of the show antique roadshow he wanted us to do some digs , we were more then willing to do the show not for getting famous or anything but just thought it would be cool, well he wanted us to dig in new hampshire which is where they are based i guess, well we never did the show cause we would have had to do some homework on dig sites needless to say, another time we where filmed by a film crew, diggin a famous maine town dump that day we must have had some luck on our sides , cause we unearthed 5 z.g auld stoneware beers which are very rare. right on camera, need less to say about that is i never got to see the footage and i dont think anyone else did either........ what a day though, that dump is a killa...... and mostly off limits know.....

Ace of spades

Reaction score
I dig for money!!!! [8D] And would love to do a TV show then all you ladies can buy my"ACE OF SPADES" t-shirts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib