two mysterious tall green bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Alas, a search of the Internet reveals that the tall, green bottles with the fluted corners have not survived as a traditional capers bottle. The jars which were pictured are clear, simple squat cylinders.

However, I did find an interesting, beautifully-illustrated web-site dealing with all aspects of capers. It's worth a look, even if only to see the flowers of the caper.

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Capp_spi.html

------------Harry Pristis

scduckett

Reaction score
RE:capers

This is for Harry:
I thoroughly enjoy perusing your soliliquies. However, I must take issue with your statement that "people today don't know what capers are". My husband calls them "those green floaty things" when I use them in dishes. For anyone who likes olives (green) or dill anything, capers will be right up your alley. Interesting bottles they came in. P.S Harry are you a college professor or a member of Mensa?

Bluebelle

Reaction score
I used to use capers in potato salad, tartar sauce and some other things when the family was home to cook for - haven't bought any in years but now I want some! They used to come in dark green bottles similar to what was posted. Next time I shop, I'll check to see what they are in now.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
This has been very interesting! When this thread started, I knew what a capers bottle was; but, I confess, I really didn't know what a caper is. They were just never on my menu.

I didn't find any capers in my local Winn-Dixie supermarket yesterday. I'll keep looking.

"Green floaty things"! Yes, I like it! [:D]

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Ethnic foods was the first section I checked, Woody. But, this was in a relatively small town whose biggest ethnic population is Polish. No big demand for capers there, I guess. There are other supermarkets in the area which I will check when I get the chance.

ladyp3797

Reaction score
[:'(] Capers are a little salty for me...but I bought them in the isle with the pickles [:)] LP

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thanks, ladies! The pickles and olives shelves were the second place I checked in Winn-Dixie. No luck. I'll try some other stores later this week as the opportunity arises.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen