Two RARE Paterson flasks !!!!!!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Just picked up two previously unknown flasks, one warranted one not with one very good label and one partial. This is the info from my friend who was selling them

"Here's a couple of "Attic" finds. Found in an 1870's house being razed. A couple of mint condition strap side flasks. One very nice (almost full) label in the form of a small jug: "H. STEINER / Pure / WINES & LIQUORS / 504 MAIN ST. / PATERSON, N.J. / BOTH PHONES". This on the lighter of the two amber flasks. The darker flask has about half of the label intact with PATERSON, N.J. missing. Steiner was at this same location with partner Kantorowicz (and also at another address as well). They must have split in 1900 as Steiner is listed for 2 years only, 1901 and 1902. He may have gone into part of 1903, but this is uncertain. Kantorowicz went on in the liquor business for more years. These two bottles are from 1901-03. There was 1 more found at this site and its in my partners private collection."

This seller finds me bottles from his digs and house hunts all the time and I get them before they ever get to e-bay usually so I am very happt to add these bottles to my collection. I wish the other label was as complete I'm sure his digging buddy got the best of the bunch which is fine with me as long as I can get "Leftovers" like this. As always your thoughts are helpful and very welcome.
Jim
BclsnGQBGkKGrHqMOKkUEq4BGQcQBK1JwzD.jpg
[/IMG]
BcmVSqwBGkKGrHqMOKi8Eq40wOvkBK1LsDs.jpg
[/IMG]
BclssCGkKGrHqIOKjEq4gH8fhBK1JE4Bg_3.jpg
[/IMG]
BclspSBGkKGrHqYOKjgEq5WLHhn5BK1Jw6l.jpg
[/IMG]

TJSJHART

Reaction score
i don't know squat about flasks .. but two of them over 100 yrs. old with even those amount of labels great finds . thanks for postin.

epackage

Reaction score
Thanx TJSJ, he usually drops off a box of bottles every 3 or 4 weeks and lets me take my pick. These are the first Flasks in my collection, there is an embossed one on e-bay now without a label for $60, I got both of these and have someone who wants to buy the one missing half the label for double what I paid for the pair but I'm gonna hold onto it for now because the two bottles are different....

surfaceone

Reaction score
A double minty High-Five to you Jim,

Those are splendid indeed! I really like the color and the "Both Phones" label on the Warranted. Getting those would make me want to grab my shovel and scratchers and head on over to 504 Main St. to see if there might be a digging opportunity.

I gotta say I envy your bottle delivery service. All I can get around here is pizza.

Your collection is really growing in leaps and bounds.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

A double minty High-Five to you Jim,

Those are splendid indeed! I really like the color and the "Both Phones" label on the Warranted. Getting those would make me want to grab my shovel and scratchers and head on over to 504 Main St. to see if there might be a digging opportunity.

I gotta say I envy your bottle delivery service. All I can get around here is pizza.

Your collection is really growing in leaps and bounds.
There is no digging on main st. in Paterson nowadays Surfaceone, all buildings side by side the whole way, after the fire of 1902 the town was rebuilt and in the main part of town it's concrete and brick. On the outskirts of town safety is a real issue unfortunately, there have been 9 murders so far this year and it's truely sad because of the great history of Paterson as the place to be back in the 1910's thru the 30's

This is how built up it was before the fire, now all the area is concrete like I said, your best bet is to find and dig thru the old mills or the neighboring town like I live in. Two different worlds even though the towns are next to each other...

68940BA9E8254D17AD0CD4A882E64592.jpg

Attachments

• 68940BA9E8254D17AD0CD4A882E64592.jpg
    68940BA9E8254D17AD0CD4A882E64592.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 57

epackage

Reaction score
Here it is in the 60's

CD7A9B98C4B34DCA82204FCC244AA8C2.jpg

Attachments

• CD7A9B98C4B34DCA82204FCC244AA8C2.jpg
    CD7A9B98C4B34DCA82204FCC244AA8C2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 58

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the postcard views. I really like the TOC view. Great street scens! Is that a motorcar way down Main on the right side? I like the five crossbars on the telephone pole in the forground and, what, I am assuming, is a street clock. Does that survive, per chance? What about the trolley to Passaic?

I know what you mean about the concrete and brick downtown. Same story here, but when there is construction or urban removal--LOOK OUT. That's where a bunch of the oldies & goodies lie. I try to cruise the alleys and courts, back of the downtown properties every once in a while, and have been rewarded more than once. I always pull over for dirt piles.

What does Main St. look like today? Is it thriving?

epackage

Reaction score
No car just a horsedrawn buggy, the clock isn't there and was outside a watch shop, the first shop after that you can see the word Kent right to the left of the clock. That was Kent's Drug store and I have 4 botttles in my collection from there. One thing that always amazed me was how wide the streets were in all the old postcards I have even though there wasn't much in the way of traffic and you don't see many people walking the streets. I have a few old photos of a horse drawn water truck going down the streets trying to keep the dust down. There is very little complete demolition of buildings that you would want to roam around in because the area has really turned bad in some areas, and it's hard as heck to find anywhere to park....lol...Here is a recent photo from above Main st.
mainstpat.jpg
[/IMG]

rockbot

Reaction score
Hi Jim, nice flasks. What does both phones mean on the label?

My home town still looks like the first photo you got! lol

Rocky

epackage

Reaction score
Paterson had one of the very first early phone exchanges and this store had 2 different phone numbers so it was easier to reach them when you asked the operator to connect you. Some of the business's had a home & business phone but here they would take calls on both. I have a photo somewhere of the phone co. building and there are wires EVERYWHERE.......lol....If I find it I'll post it, thanx Rocky
Jim

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter