U.S.A. Hosp. Dept bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, as some collect inks, or bitters, or flasks, I collect USA Hosp Dept bottles. I got started on these when I was lucky enough to dig a bunch of these out of an Indian Wars fort here in Tejas.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of people on here that have much interest in them but I thought I would give it a shot. I am looking to buy any of the small cobalts, the lime green shoulder embossed, or the small black amethyst.
Understand that I can't buy all of these [:D] but I would like to talk to anyone who might have any of these for sale. I don't care about ground wear or scratches, I just don't want any chips or cracks.
Thanks, Kelley

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a lot of people on here that have much interest in them

I would say a lot of people here have interest in them as they are some of the most historic and collectible American bottles. Problem is they are uncommon and out of a lot of people's price range. Not an easy catagory to collect but certainly an interesting one.

annie44

Reaction score
Hi Kelley,
Any chance you could post a pic of some of your bottles? I'd love to see them. I understand that there are some pretty good reproductions of the USA Hospital Department bottles. Is that true, or would someone who is familiar with old glass be able to identify them as reproductions easily? If I am ever able to buy one, I want to make sure I get the real deal!
Also, I'm curious as to the contents of these bottles - did they hold many different types of medicine?
Thanks,
Cindy

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
I like 'em to but my collection stalled at just 2 a couple years ago. I'm thinkin about buying a couple $60 repros to get some color. Good Luck!

Frank

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I found shards of one at a house foundation where I also found a civil war belt buckle, always made me wonder if it was somehow brought home from the war.

capsoda

Reaction score
They are not common down here because civilian hospital were use after the war and the only places you woul likely find them are off limits to diggers.

I have seen a few at the local flea market but I don't collect them. Need to get a cobalt one for the wifey one day.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Cindy, yes there are repros out there and they are pretty good. The best way to spot one is the bottom. All the repros I have seen have an open pontil scar and the only Hosp bottle to my knowledge that actually had a pontil scar was a big mouth jar, and those are very scarce. Also, the repros do not have periods after the U.S.A.
There was a varity of meds that came in them with most people agreeing that the big mouth jars held pills.
I will try and get some pic's up but my camara is on its last leg and everything has been coming out fuzzy lately.
I hope you get a chance to own one sometime as they are very pretty bottles and as Matt has said, they are a very Historic piece of glass.[:D] Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Cap, the smaller cobalts are fairly reasonable but if you opt to get momma the quart, you better grab your second wallet![:D] I bet the ones you saw at the flea market didn't have a flea market price did they? I can't ever get that lucky at flea markets. Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Found some pic's I had stored on my computer. Here's a few of my collection.

116A556ED8F84D938FDFA3BB83E390C4.jpg

Attachments

• 116A556ED8F84D938FDFA3BB83E390C4.jpg
    116A556ED8F84D938FDFA3BB83E390C4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 66

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
nuther

3DE38CEA3D734FB79AD2349ADE6D2024.jpg

Attachments

• 3DE38CEA3D734FB79AD2349ADE6D2024.jpg
    3DE38CEA3D734FB79AD2349ADE6D2024.jpg