Upper peninsula privys

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Noleakjohn

Reaction score
I just got permission to dig three privy sites in the keweenaw area, My Grandfather worked in the copper mines there, very old towns back to 1850's, any yopper diggers out ther with UP digging history, i know there is alot of rock so i'm wondering what the average depth of the local privys would be, any help with any UP privys would be apreciated, thanks.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
not only are they usually shallow (4-6') they are generally empty. Most of the areas ive seen in the U.P. have dumps near by and which is usually off the side of a steep, rocky hill. The U.P. is a bottle graveyard unless you can find a good flat dump.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
and by the way......the places I have dug in the U.P. include the Cedarville area on the east and the Bergland/ Ontonagon area on the west. I guess it really depends on where you are.

botlguy

Reaction score
Certainly meaning no disrespect to what Nic / mtfdfire22 has poted but please don't be discouraged by his tough luck in that area. You might do much better and we certainly hope so. Sounds like all it will cost you is some time and sweat. Good Luck. Jim

Noleakjohn

Reaction score
Thanks Nic! i get up to the Calumet area a couple of times a year, i have many kinfolk who are locals and they tell me about the old dumps with bottle diggers digging to finland "massive deep holes", as to the depth of the privys i don't think they would go very deep unless they put it over a old mine shaft lol.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
In Ishpeming, I think their is a dump to the northeast of the trailer park. Their is a small lake called rock lake and right behind the trailer park their is a stream coming from that lake. You should find the dump their. As we know, The Gwinn, Ishepeming, and Negaunee area had bottling works and put out some serious product. you will find hutches in the dump if you dig deep enough.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
A lot of those rocky places "use clean outs" where it is hard to dig to a decent depth for privys. The bucket goes under and out goes the crapola.

ironmountain

Reaction score
ill go dig with you! :) my inlaws live in Houghton and I dig on the old family farm (tons of dumps) and one of the private properties we hunt that's abandoned is nothing but old vehicle parts...thousands of them. I found the privy this past fall and will be hitting it this spring. Also found one on shore of Lake Superior in Liminga (where the farm is). Sits at an old cabin/shack site from the 1800's on an apple orchard on the shore. That orchard has been there since no idea how long...prior to caucasians living there...

as far as depth goes... the privy sites on the farm that i've dug so far (haven't found the original one from the 1800'syet...still doing dumps) are at least 6'. I'm 6' on a "newer" one and still finding bones/shards/trinkets...

the one i just started on this past late/fall is so far 4' deep and I started hitting acl's and shards at just under 3'..i'm still in the process of cleaning out the muck (sits near a dried up swamp that was turned into a pine plantation but still has the creek/stream beds feeding it..no water though.)...

I did stick my spade into it against the wood lining and i was able to keep the blade against the lining for the depth of the shovel..this is from the depth I'm at now...so this must be 9' or so..

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter