VALUES ... guides vs e-bay vs dealers vs ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Matt ~

That's the crazy part. Even if you offered it to me for free with free shipping included, I'd still say thanks but no thanks. On the other hand, if you had a "30 Below" (San Diego's rarest acl) that you wanted to give away, I'd be all over it like white-on-rice! A "30 Below" in mint condition is worth about $750 to $1,000 locally.

SPB

biguns

Reaction score
I just recently started collecting ACL bottles. I found and bought a " Rola" bottle from Erie Pa. I dated it to be 1950. Is this bottle rare or common.?

celerycola

Reaction score
Very common. I bought a case of 24 including high wall wood crate for $10. In two years I haven't sold enough to recover my investment.

ORIGINAL: biguns

I just recently started collecting ACL bottles. I found and bought a " Rola" bottle from Erie Pa. I dated it to be 1950. Is this bottle rare or common.?

splante

Reaction score
I read some of the post then jumped to the end so if some of my opinion has already been stated I appoligize.
one..the old saying supply and demand rules...you can have a very scarce acl bottle with just an average label and subject matter and have trouble finding a buyer for it, or you can have a semi common with the subject for example baseball and it cross references so many collectors they sell for better prices

For example the Devil shake bottle Ive seen them sell for$45.00 to $200.00 and IF my research is correct it was produced for about 4 years..while the (here it comes) The Patio Diet cola bottle from the same company(pepsi) was test marketed in 1963 after just over 6 months of production it was changed to diet pepsi,(you can see some of the first diet pepsi bottles are the patio bottle with just a diffrent acl) while the other patio colas' hung around to the early 1970's before being phased out. You can get the Patio Diet colas still cheap $3.00 to $10.00. Again devil shake(cool name and acl) produced longer high demand and price..while the very low production number of i guess( boring )patio diet colas' are still cheap...

Two ..as more and more new collectors come aboard,they may want to fill parts of thier collections with the staples,coke,7up,pepsi ect ect again driving supply. and on the other hand a new collector discovers a case of attic mint Big Chiefs and floods ebay with them and drives the prices down.

three..knowledge as i am pretty new to acl collecting..Iam discovering more and more about the hobby weekly, I know they have some pretty rare local Rhode Island acl bottles that you just don't see for sale...Glee Club and speedball are a few examples of one you just dont see . I would put a preimum on those because they are rare and local..2 for 1.....if not for sites like these I would of never connected with some local collectors who have enlightened me on RI bottles

...ok Iam rambling now got to cut myself off...

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
splante ~

Regional interest is another major aspect. I realize now that a "Speedball" is in high demand in your region. But if I saw one here in southern California, (before I learned about them recently) I might think it was cool but still pass on it for something of more regional interest to me. And the same thing might apply if you saw a "30 Below" in Rhode Island.

Tell ya what ... I'll find a "Speedball" for you if you find a "30 Below" for me ... and then we'll trade!

SPB

Here's the only "30 Below" I currently own and paid $75.00 for. (Which is a contradiction to what I was saying earlier about only wanting near-mint bottles). But when rarity comes into play - that's a horse of a different color. I have been offered $125 for this crappy looking thing. But I probably wouldn't sell it for $200 because I know the likelyhood of finding another one (in any condition) is slim to none. There are very few local collectors who own one, and those that do won't part with them ... including me unless I am lucky enough to upgrade some day, which is doubtful.

6BD10A9EDAE3475F86FB443C77BE32D3.jpg

Attachments

• 6BD10A9EDAE3475F86FB443C77BE32D3.jpg
    6BD10A9EDAE3475F86FB443C77BE32D3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 81

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ splante

The point of my "30 Below" regional story is this ...

Q: Without knowing what I just told you about it, would you be as excited to find one as I would?

SPB

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I WOULD ... I WOULD GRAB ANY OF THE THREE " LOTTA COLA " THERE ARE ALSO...

splante

Reaction score
SPB. exactly if not for this site I would overlook a 30 below at a shop while looking for the RI bottles, I would of said Sandiego...naw move on....IF you come up with any acl soda bottled in Saugus Calif let me know I want one from the area I grew up in in the 60's, moved back to RI after the 71 or 72 earthquake and would love to have a bottle from that area if not too expensive oh and deal on the speedball/30below

splante

Reaction score
heres an example of what I said a few post above this guy floods the market with 1000 nesbitts not that they were ever scarce or worth much but it dives the prices down even more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-Collection-Lot-1000-Vintage-Nesbitts-Soda-ACL-Painted-Label-Bottles-/320837044349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab360c87d

cyberdigger

Reaction score
At least he's not trying to sell them individually.. someone's gonna have to go for the BIG TAMALE..[&:]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen