VALUES ... guides vs e-bay vs dealers vs ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
#1twin ~

Thanks. And, yes, I followed a couple of the recent auctions. I sure would like to find one of them thar party jugs. I'm a partier < (is this a word?) from way back! [:D]

By the way, I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "my journey of clearing out." Did you mean my intent to thin down my collection to just western themed bottles? If so, yes again, I'm working on it now but cringe at the thought of piecing them out one at a time. If someone were interested in the whole shooting match that would be better. Eventually I will have a list compiled, but it may be a while before it's ready to post.

Thanks again,

SPBOB

bottle34nut

Reaction score
epackage,

unfortunatly we collect the same bottles, otherwise you would have a lot more paterson hutches. and im starting to thin out my hutches from other states besides nj, and hi. im trying to concentrate on paterson and newark squats and hutches. greg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just this morning I discovered there is "another" Taft, Ca. Big Chief open for bid on e-bay. Currently there are no bids with a starting price at $35.00. It closes in about four hours. I will watch it and let you know what it sells for ... if it sells. Eventually I hope to have a track record on the three variations of this particular bottle, and hopefully establish some kind of "current" (average value). I guess it's as good a bottle as any to track. The last one earlier this week sold for $41.00

SPBOB

Here's the link if you want to check it out for yourself.

Link : http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-CHIEF-BEVERAGES-acl-TAFT-CALIF-1959-VRare-sodas-/370429716672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563f54e8c0

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As promised, I'm back to say the last Taft, CA. Big Chief did not receive a single bit which had a starting price of $35.00. Which just goes to show how fickle the market is. The first one we watched received 13 bids and sold for $41.00. And yet here we have an example of a similar bottle (In a lesser grade - but not too bad) that didn't generate any interest whatsoever. Hmmm ... how strange and unpredictable soda bottle collecting can be. (Note: At first I thought the two might be the same bottle, but was abale to determine they were not. One has a scratch on the front and the other does not).

SPBOB

fishnuts

Reaction score
Now there is one with opening @ $25.00.

The goofy thing is that could close at more than $41.00!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
fishnuts ~

I can't find the e-bay listing for that bottle. Do you have the link available? It may be listed without the words "Big Chief bottle" or "Taft, Ca." which is the way I searched for it. Unless it is one of about 1,100 other "Big Chief" listings that I did not go through.

Thanks,

SPBOB

fanboy

Reaction score
I guess that is the power of starting the bidding at .99; get the bidders invested...

Chris

fishnuts

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-CHIEF-BEVERAGES-acl-TAFT-CALIF-1959-VRare-sodas-/110587246313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf8376e9

There ya go.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
fishnuts ~

Thanks. I see now that it's the same bottle as the last one that didn't receive any bids at $35.00. They just lowered the price and relisted it.

And this is a good lesson learned when searching e-bay. I experimented and discovered it would not come up under "Big Chief Bottle" nor "Big Chief Soda Bottle." I had to add the word "Beverage" to find it. And there is no way I was going to scroll through 1,100 various other listing for "Big Chief" items. So the lesson learned here is (especially for "sellers") if they have a "Bottle" for sale, use the dang word "Bottle." [:D] (I'll keep an eye on it anyway and see what develops).

When they lower the price to $10.00 I may bid on it. (So much for my "it's worth $75.00" opinion). Which just goes to show again what's happening to the market. I just wish I could find a "Big Hit" acl that is the victum of this same thing. Wouldn't that be cool?

SPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

I am not embarressed to admit I paid $50.00 for my Ely, Nevada Big Chief about three years ago. (I just "had to have it!") But even then the $50.00 was the cheapest one of this particular bottle that I could find. Most were going between $75.00 and $100.00. Again, another example of the declining market for a lot of acl bottles. Of course, certain ones seem to hold there value no matter what. At least for now. But what about the future?

There ... I feel better now. [:D]

And for those "sharp cookies" among us who remember I said earlier that I paid $15.00 for my bottle, you're right. except I failed to mention that I actually have three of the now. The third one I paid $35.00 for. So I hope this clears that up.

SPBOB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen