very odd jug my father found years ago

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello galactus and the rest of you admirers. I am certain of what your jug was for as I have two of them made in different shapes. In early times of the horse and buggy or the tow passenger horse drawn sleighs, there were no heaters. Jugs of this type were filled with hot water and set in the coach on the floor. The people, especially the ladies, would put a blanket on their laps and cover the jug of hot water.
So I would think yours is a family keeper. I also think it is a unique design and in the right place it should fetch one to 200 quickly. RED Matthews

galactus

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that. That makes sense. There are no markings on the base or otherwise. If it is only worth a few hundred dollars, I wouldn't think of selling it. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I have not been able to find out anything before this. Unfortunately, my father is no longer with us. I wish I could have told him about this.

This one has two spouts at the top. One can be seen on the photo at the top. The larger spout is on the reverse side.

If they were used as heaters, I wonder why this one has two spouts?.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Save thee pics on photo-bucket, and paste the "IMG" code here using the image icon above the reply box. Photobucket is free, and they automatically re-size to 800x600.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: galactus

Wow, thanks for that. That makes sense. There are no markings on the base or otherwise. If it is only worth a few hundred dollars, I wouldn't think of selling it. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I have not been able to find out anything before this. Unfortunately, my father is no longer with us. I wish I could have told him about this.

This one has two spouts at the top. One can be seen on the photo at the top. The larger spout is on the reverse side.

If they were used as heaters, I wonder why this one has two spouts?.
One to let air out as water was poured in.
I never would have guess they were hot water bottles. I use 2-liter soda bottles full of hot tapwater in winter...pop two of them between the sheets a half hour before bed...sweeeet.
Of course, I live in a 225+ year old farm house....your need might vary!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I always have a heating pad at the foot of my bed in the winter. My room is the coldest in the house, as my heat comes from a hole in the middle of my living room floor.[8|]

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I wish I had register holes sometimes.
My parents' house had registers in the floors, but the holes were patched. I used to hide icky vegetables in there until my cat turned me in!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]. I just held them in my cheek all night, just so I could get up from the table. Mom was always afraid that I would choke in the middle of the night on the broccoli.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I hear ya Lobe,...this house had them already but was built during the great depression so everything in here was plain vanilla.....I retrofitted a couple of the ornate cast ones that I grabbed out of old houses slated for doom.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson