W. Frank and Sons Pitt. flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

Many of us on here agree that's the most important part of it all...

Jim G

ORIGINAL: me2

Thanks, Jim. It looks pretty nice in my window.

While I probably should keep quiet I don't seem to be able to. That flaw of character has gotten me in trouble and made me enemies most of my life. (72 1/2 years)

I agree that it is important to some / many folks to simply enjoy a bottle, or some such item, for what it is, a pretty or interesting piece of glass, pottery, etc. As the poll on the General Chat about Bottles asks: What sort of bottle collector are you? This question implies that we mostly collect for different, personal reasons. I can not enumerate all the reasons I collect, there are too many and I do not understand them all and they wax and wane from time to time.

In this particular case I collect FLASKS (more commonly referred to as: Historical Flasks, more correctly, according to some, as Figured Flasks) because I appreciate the History they represent, the Skill of the workmen who made them, the idea that they were HandMade, the Crudity and Visual Appeal of the older, less sophisticated methods, etc. Yes and for PRETTY also.

Along this line it is obvious that at least two (2) different molds were used to manufacture these flasks and some attempt was made to make those molds identical. However, given the unsophisticated tools and machines available in 1860 - 1870, this was obviously impossible, thus the differences were noted by early collectors who CARED about those DIFFERENCES as I do.

To some, these small, minute differences are inconsequential but it gives SOME of us great enjoyment looking for, discussing and trying to add these examples to our collections.

All that being said, to those who endured this very long diatribe: What ever floats your boat! Whatever turns your crank! Whatever tickles your fancy! Whatever lights your lamp! I got a million of those but I will bore you no more.

me2

Reaction score
botlguy, my whimsical comment was meant simply as light-hearted banter, which is not so unusual given that I am relatively 'new' to this forum and its members. But I apologize if my remark caused offence to you or anyone else.

botlguy

Reaction score
Michael:

As is often the case, the written word alone can be misconstrued by the reader. I am not in the least offended my your comments as I pray no one is by mine. I accept your gracious apology although I believe one is not necessary.

I have a favorite saying, not original from me: “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.â€

Perhaps this applies here for both of us. Take care. Jim

Oldsmared

Reaction score
I have one of these and want to know how to sell it. I am new to this and have no idea what it is worth or where to take it. I live in the Tampa area of Florida, Thanks.

epackage

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, considering what you have the best way to sell it and reach your largest audience would be Ebay. The best thing you could do is post pics of it here, showing both sides, the bottom and the lip. That way you'll get all the pertinent details needed to make the proper writeup in your description. You may even get some offers from members here, but if it's about getting the most out if it Ebay will be your best bet because it's not a rare flask in a rare color, if that were the case one of the better bottle auctions would be your best bet.

All of that is just my opinion and others might disagree, don't listen to them, they're all idiots...LOL[8D]

If you need help posting the pics feel free to email them to me and I'll be happy to post them for you...Jim epackage@msn.com

botlguy

Reaction score
I am probably one of those "idiots" to whom epack refers [;)] but since I agree with him he must be one also.[;)]

I just finished selling 40 flasks, about a half dozen to members on this forum (THANX) the rest either locally or on eBay. Unless you know someone who really wants the flask your best bet is eBay but be prepared to incurr a 12% to 15% reduction in bid price due to ebay and PayPal fees. I offered my flasks to members here at a set price that I thought was fair to both parties. Some sold for less, some sold for LOTS more. That's an auction.

My suggestion: Do some research, determine a fair value to you, offer it here at that price and if no takers in a week, put it on eBay with maximin pictures. Start low, say half your anticipated value, and let it fly. BTW, examine the flask carefully and describe it thoroughly. List any flaw, point out outstanding, desireable features.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

I am probably one of those "idiots" to whom epack refers [;)] but since I agree with him he must be one also.[;)]
[;)]

idigjars

Reaction score
I've always liked these flasks that show the cannon on the reverse. Nice! Thanks for sharing with us. Paul

LC

Reaction score
I have one of these myself, one of my favorite bottles because of the cannon on the back .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter