Want to know if it looks cheesy to white the letters on bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stardust

Reaction score
Your's in the photo it appears to look nice. Honestly, when I see them at shows I don't like what I see. It's all a matter of what a person likes. I prefer my bottles without the white on them. To each their own....If you like it them it's for you....[;)]

You look like you have a nice steady hand when you apply your paint and many I've seen don't, so your's looks much bettter than those I have seen. Would like to see it really blown up...to really see your detailed workmanship.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Joe The Crow,

Pay no attention to "ole" Penn Digger? I got ya by more than a decade (younger). You must have hundreds of bottles displayed in your house and NONE with the cheesy white lettering! Huh.

PD

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
All true enough young man,...(LoL)...However, Thomas ,my friend...that was not the point. It seems as though you ruffled Dollarbill's feathers, and i was pointing out to him that you (hopefully) didn't mean to come across as being rude.... simple enough. Joseph

colorpro

Reaction score
Hi I'm assuming what you paint white will stay in your collection and is just a cosmetic enhancement for your enjoyment? I think if it's your's...do what makes you happy...I know I like to see what I have in my home but can't read them unless in my hands..so cool...as long as it's not sold. I say enjoy what you got how you want!!

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all .Really didn't take it personal Joe Iam sure Penns a great guy and I was just saying sorry for being annoying .I know how it can be with the same question over and over. I've got an 8 year old who can really get under a persons skin . Just happened to miss the thread the first time and this is something I was just trying out as I 've only whited a few bottle just to check it out because I had seen a few of the older bottle collectors with it done. Jamie the pens are made by Elmers and there called painters .Heres a pic and they come in fine point and med.

C0678F4140814C36A674BFC2F7E6BF63.jpg

Attachments

• C0678F4140814C36A674BFC2F7E6BF63.jpg
    C0678F4140814C36A674BFC2F7E6BF63.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 73

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey StarDust heres a closer pic and as you can see they look a little better from farther away .Oh and hey Joe and Penn I did ask for opinions .And I do have to say my wife fall in line with Penn as I said earlier in the post she thinks they look repo or cheesy .Iam still out to lunch on it as like I said it kind works for some and not others . I'd never do a prized ink or bottle and as for sailing them that way not likely unless someone sees one that way and makes me an offer I can't refuse .Then whats a guy to do. Thanks agian all as I value all of your input . YEA'S AND NA'S .Thanks again and good luck diggen and finding to ya all.
bill

8E0B46B466C0409E9F2EFCC0A381A3FA.jpg

Attachments

• 8E0B46B466C0409E9F2EFCC0A381A3FA.jpg
    8E0B46B466C0409E9F2EFCC0A381A3FA.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 77

Stardust

Reaction score
I MUST SAY I'VE NEVER SEEN THOSE PENS AND NOW I WANT SOME, DO a lot of ART... SO THANKS FOR SHOWING.

ONCE AGAIN, I HAVE TO SAY YOU HAVE REALLY GOOD CONTROL WITH THAT PAINT. I HONESTLY THINK MOST PAINTED I'VE SEEN LOOK MESSY.

SO IS THE BOTTLE FOR YOU? OR DO YOU SELL THEM? AS BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. [;)] WHAT'S THE TIP OF THE PAINT PEN LIKE? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN
USING THEM? I THINK I COULD HAVE FUN WITH THOSE PENS........[8|] LET ME SEE, WHAT COULD I EMBELLISH....WONDER IF THEY WOULD WORK ON BREAD DOUGH CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
DOLLARBILL, YOU HAVE ENRICHED MY LIFE THIS WEEK......[:)]
I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS.....THANKS FOR SHARING ALL YOU DID, YOU BROUGHT BACK A LOT OF HAPPY MEMORIES WITH ALL YOUR PICS...YOU SHOWED ME SOME NEW PAINTS, AND MOST OF ALL YOU SEEM LIKE A REAL GENTLEMAN..
YOU TELL THE MRS. SHE'S GOT A KEEPER NO MATTER WHAT SHE THINKS YOUR BOTTLES LOOK LIKE. BECAUSE, IN THE END, NOTHING REALLY MATTERS BUT KNOWING YOU HAVE HER AND SHE HAS YOU..... [:)] [;)] JUST ALWAYS ENJOY EACH AND EVERY DAY, BECAUSE WE CAN'T SAVE TIME IN A BOTTLE.....star*

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Dollar,

Did not mean to offend. Sorry!

Joe The Crow,

Where are your white lettered cheesy bottles????

PD

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Here's an interesting tidbit from several auctions last year of Bryan Grapentines bottle collection:

I think most of Bryan's bottles had the white lettering on them(Bryan did one heck of a good job on his lettering!)

All of the bottles(probably close to 900 over the course of last year) had the white lettering removed before being auctioned off. Can you imagine how long that must have took? One heck of a task!!!!
See the photo below of some of the bottles before they were cleaned off.

77D5F3E41A554054AA3C518B847BA22C.jpg

Attachments

• 77D5F3E41A554054AA3C518B847BA22C.jpg
    77D5F3E41A554054AA3C518B847BA22C.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 73

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey StarDust the bottle above is one in my collection. As with most of my bottles except inks ,blacking ,glue and stone ware there for sale .There are a choice few I keep to. Like a lot of the very tiny perfumes and colored bottles .But would trade or sale them in a heart beat for a good Ink bottle.The pen's I showed are like round tipped markers in med and thin sizes . Was glad I could give ya boost allso . Hey Penn Digger no offense taken I asked for comments and thoughts I thought maybe I had offend you. Dabeel Thanks for the pic I saw the Grapentine tour on line some time ago .Wow what a collection that was . Thanks again all and as always good luck diggen and finding .
bill

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960