Warning for Gen Co MI --HORNETS!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: MIdigger

All I can tell you is theyre about 2inches long some maybe +- that. But they were pretty dang impressive. Stumbling into one bunch of those holes was enough, but twice in one day? in two lacations miles apart? Dont know what the odds are of that....

Just lucky I didnt get zapped and have to stick myself with that pen. Those things had holes in the ground big enough for crawfish. Im no expert but if they arent the Japanese version, theyre something just as big. I still cant believe I walked into 2 zones of them and didnt get whacked.

Maybe your not sweet enough [:D]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
they are cute little suckers...
hornet.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
They sound like cicada killers from the descriptions.. which are not much of a threat to humans, but they have a big fear factor.. if Japanese hornets have settled & colonized in Michigan, there's gonna be some problems.. !

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
We call those big hornets you see in the woods Centurion Hornets. They live in holes in trees and travel alone.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Oh yes, my buddies. Put one ounce of either Diazinon or Dursban in to a half gallon of water, and about 10pm, pour down the hole. NOTHING will ever fly out again...........I have been chewed up enough in my time, I play for keeps now.

Jim

Reaction score
Sounds like they may be the European bald-faced hornets. I got assaulted by them last year while mowing my yard. I never saw the little beestards until one of 'em stung me right on top of the ear [:mad:] That got my attention. At dusk, it was time for some chemical warfare. I used everything I had lying around- two cans of wasp/hornet killer and a can of ether (starting fluid). No more hornets [:)] ~Jim

MIdigger

Reaction score
Ever see prairie dog towns? this is very similar. Its not just one. The land in both spots has them all over it. Already talked to the parks folks. Ran by and they havent done anything yet. Id hope they would post the areas. At least until they figure out how to knock them all off. I dont think the standard bee keepers uniform would stop those length stingers. Might be those cicadia wasps, I dont know. But if someone wanders into that area like I did it might not go so well for the next person if theyre on a bike or walking. I had the op to jump back in the suv. If not, Id probably have had to use the pen.

The first area was an open field. No water, dry soil gravel/sand. The 2nd was in the woods near a river. located in a turn around under a large pine tree. They were all over the ground digging. Then I looked and saw them about 50 more yards away digging in the sand. Both spots are quite large areas and going to need professionals. Dudley do wrong and a mixture of homemade napalm (works well on yellow jackets) for this application is not going to end well. I know my diggin and detecting are going to be on hold a bit for those spots.

madman

Reaction score
man ive seen those things when i lived in toledo freakin scary! dont want to digg that nest up lol, also they sting repeatedly, the jap hornets down here in knoxville are as long as yer index finger, dont even like being near them................ if ya get stung by those puppies a kit aint gonna help!

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: MIdigger

Ever see prairie dog towns? this is very similar. Its not just one. The land in both spots has them all over it. Already talked to the parks folks. Ran by and they havent done anything yet. Id hope they would post the areas. At least until they figure out how to knock them all off. I dont think the standard bee keepers uniform would stop those length stingers. Might be those cicadia wasps, I dont know. But if someone wanders into that area like I did it might not go so well for the next person if theyre on a bike or walking. I had the op to jump back in the suv. If not, Id probably have had to use the pen.

The first area was an open field. No water, dry soil gravel/sand. The 2nd was in the woods near a river. located in a turn around under a large pine tree. They were all over the ground digging. Then I looked and saw them about 50 more yards away digging in the sand. Both spots are quite large areas and going to need professionals. Dudley do wrong and a mixture of homemade napalm (works well on yellow jackets) for this application is not going to end well. I know my diggin and detecting are going to be on hold a bit for those spots.
yep they come out around this time every year, the cicada killers are black look like a giant wasp from hell , but the hornets are striped like yellow jackets just ten times bigger, ive seen yellow with black stripes , and black with yellow stripes, when i seen one im gone................

MIdigger

Reaction score
MM---These guys have stripes. We got a good downpour of rain, but Im staying away from those areas and sure watching where I walk now. They have one of those Warrior dash events scheduled and it goes within 75 yards of one of these areas. I did my part and reported it. I just hope they dont have parking right on top of it.....In the past this area has been used for parking for the fair and large events.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator