Warning for Gen Co MI --HORNETS!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Bill Id hope you checked in. I didnt know whether to contact you or Tim to give the members a heads up. The Fairgds on Mt Morris rd. Take the western side entrance and its accross from the horse stalls (east side of the entrance road). Although they were flying on the stall side too.

The second is in the back of Richfield park near the river. In the old turn around. I havent driven around the park and looked for others. I reported this to the Ranger station and rode and showed them where they were. We actually sat over the area. Neither Ranger had ever seen them before. Now there are a lot of horse riders and hikers there at the FG and the Warrior dash is tomorrow and Sunday. I hope they post the area because as you know, the area at the FG is a wide open parking zone. I know others poke around these area detecting and bottle scratching too.

These arent any dink sized hornets. I cant really confirm the exact ID but they are striped and very large. I know I saw some easily over 2 inches in size crawling in the sand. The smaller ones were 1-1/2 inches. If you know of any others in the bottle club that frequent the areas (even recreationally) let them know. Im sure there must be more of them in the area. That soil looks to be conducive to their nesting.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
BILL! MIDIGGER!
dont go scaring those things my way. dont forget im only 35 miles away and Bill you dig up here too so if you scare them up here you will have to deal with them double time.

I know some really dumb people we can send in with cans of wasp spray, or we can call the cast of jackass, they may some good footage.

looks like im going to be carrying the EPI pen more often now. i suggest everyone else in the area get an extra one as well, if you are allergic.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Just got a new Epi refill today. If youre going to be around this area, Id highly recommend (if allergic) you have one along. I sure hope their "event" this weekend goes ok and no one stumbles into that area.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Rich,
I have never seen anything that large in Michigan. I have spent a LOT of time outdoors.
I don't dig at the fairgrounds any more but I DO dig behind the motocross track.
Would you call me, please?
Sounds like I need to go get a specimen.
Bill

madman

Reaction score
i saw a nest of those things here in knoxville, the giant striped ones, man those things were swarming around like crazy, it was right near a gas station where people would walk right by it freaky.................

MIdigger

Reaction score
Bill, I dont have your #. I havent been to the fg today (warrior dash is today/tomorrow) Hope they got that area in check. As for the Richfield park area, I was there about 1pm today. They are still swarming that area. If you need directions take the entrance back to the park turn L follow back go over the bridge, at stop sign turn R(only way you can turn). Follow around to the gravel track back to the river (1st is a turn around, 2nd is pavillion/bridge, the main 3rd goes back to river (old ballfield on leftside). The boat launch is right infront as you turn to the right follow that back to the turn around. Thats where the hornets are.

Dugout

Reaction score
Just wondering if this little buzz was taken care of? Does anyone know?

druggistnut

Reaction score
Rich,
PM'd you my number.
I am headed over to Richfield in just a bit, to take pictures and attempt to collect a specimen.
Bill

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
well......talked to bill over an hour ago. he said he was on his way to check out the hornets with a camera, and binoculars and he was gonna catch one of the bastards.

said he would call and let me know whats up......ive heard nothing.

Who wants to go recover bill? anyone? any takers? didnt think so. Rich i think you got him into this you had better go save him.

by the way....couldnt the hornets be just another obstacle in the warrior dash?

druggistnut

Reaction score
I am still amongst the living.
Two people went with me today- I told them I had a little adventure in store. When we finally found the nesting area, they BEGGED me not to get out of the vehicle. There were literally a couple hundred nest holes and the largest wasps WERE about 2" long. I wanted to get one in a jar, but wasn't 100% sure what we had. I had never seen them before.
I am attaching two photos- one of a burrow location, with the pile of dirt, and one of a wasp.
I couldn't get a telephoto pic, as my digital isn't equipped. You'll get the idea, though. With the second picture is a link to a site describing the wasps and better photos.
Apparently, they are pretty much harmless, but they sure give most folks the Willies.
I think they are just fine, Rich, and won't need to be eradicated.
Bill

5649DCAF6545400BAE92C4AD62ADFB96.jpg

Attachments

• 5649DCAF6545400BAE92C4AD62ADFB96.jpg
    5649DCAF6545400BAE92C4AD62ADFB96.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 67

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member