Warning for Gen Co MI --HORNETS!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blade

Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the Japanese hornets in our area, but be do have those mean Puerto Rican hornets in abundance !

MIdigger

Reaction score
I am an equal opportunity hater of all those things. Cant stand them. Its really a let down because both spots Ive found good amounts of silver coins...but a trip to the ER or Morgue just aint worth it for me.

phil44

Reaction score
The Euros are are most active at dusk, had them nest under the floor of my living room and over the basement cieling. They love lilacs and will severly affect their growth, they also are attracted to light when it's dark outside and if you have them near your house they try to fly into it windows etc.

Sevin is extremely toxic to most bees-hornets I know of , what I did was get 5% dust and spooned it into the hive entrance. The workers take it in and die then the other hive dwellers eat them and so on and so until they all die.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I've seen the Euro guys here in SE PA. They swarm over lilacs. Never paid much attention to them because I'm not allergic, but they are big suckers...

Jim G

ORIGINAL: phil44

The Euros are are most active at dusk, had them nest under the floor of my living room and over the basement cieling. They love lilacs and will severly affect their growth, they also are attracted to light when it's dark outside and if you have them near your house they try to fly into it windows etc.

Sevin is extremely toxic to most bees-hornets I know of , what I did was get 5% dust and spooned it into the hive entrance. The workers take it in and die then the other hive dwellers eat them and so on and so until they all die.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Has anyone ever read "Food of the Gods," written by H.G. Wells? This string kind of reminds me of the hornets in that book.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
Rich,
I'm assuming the one spot is the old Fairgrounds on Richfield Rd. Where is the second spot. I won't infringe on your metal detecting locations, promise.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of the Cicada killer types. The ones I saw would always kill exclusively Katydids. They are always solid black, about 2" long and solitary. When I used to dig tunnels near my Dads in-ground Gunnite pool, they would fly in to the tunnels (under the concrete) and carry Katydids into the tunnel. They would have a nest they would bring the live Katydid in to.
I'm going to look these things up.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
OK, There are very large yellow jackets that can get over an inch long. They are not as common as the smaller ones that we all see.
I recommend everyone to read this article, especially those living in southern states.

http://www.aces.edu/department/extcomm/npa/daily/archives/002193.php

Rich- Sounds like you should call the State Cooperative Extension Service, over on Elms Rd.
Bill

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
that article seems to be about normal sized bees with extrordinary sized nests.

I think I saw one of these in Hawaii hiking in the jungle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator