WAS COCA COLA INVENTED IN VALENCIA, SPAIN ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey guys ... Thanks for the helpful insights. I'm not trying to change history or prove anything. I just thought this would make for an interesting topic of discussion. I never heard about any of this until the other day and thought the whole thing was rather intriguing. Especially the part where it stated ...

"Delegates of the American company had no choice but to come up and buy Malferit Aielo of the patent. In a few years "the spark of life" flooded the entire peninsula."

This single sentence, more than any other, is the base and basis for this entire thread. The rest is just a surelistic pillow. (Speculation).

And although the above quote loses something in translation, it simply caused me to question why someone would say this, and continue saying it for over a hundred years, if there wasn't some logical explaination for it? This is not to say I believe it - that book is still open for me - but as I am a curious, opended minded guy, I just couldn't help but wonder. I also wondered if any other members had ever heard about this before? Thus my reason for "sharing."

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I also thought this was intriguing, and possibly something that might even be corroborated. Apparently it is a list (partially and poorly translated from Spanish/Catalan to English) of the awards (actual) the family received over the years ... which, again, doesn't prove anything, but rather illustrates that the family did have some degree of validity, and legitimacy. So I asked myself, why would such a successful and recognized family want to make up fantasies? (This is not a conclusion on my part, but a question!)

"Aparicio Sanz and Ortiz" through its work to visit fairs and exhibitions, where he soon received international recognition. Buena prueba de ello, son sus medallas: 1881 Milán, 1884 Roma, 1885 Philadelphia, 1886 Torino, 1889 Londres, 1889 en la Expo de Paris, en 1890 Burdeos, 1891 Bruselas, 1891 Alejandría, 1893 Chicago, 1900 otra vez Paris (es la ciudad donde mas premios obtuvieron), 1908 Zaragoza, 1909 Valencia y así hasta un total de 20 medallas de oro. Proof of this are his medals: 1881 Milan, 1884 Rome, 1885 Philadelphia, 1886 Torino, 1889 London Expo, 1889 in Paris, Bordeaux in 1890, 1891 Brussels, 1891 Alexandria, 1893 Chicago, 1900 Paris again (is the city where most awards won), 1908 Zaragoza, Valencia and so on until 1909 a total of 20 gold medals. La bebida con la que abrieron el mercado fue el “Anís Celestial†era el producto estrella de la casa, con él se consiguieron 12 medallas de oro. The beverage with which the market opened was the "Celestial Anise" was the flagship of the house, he got 12 gold medals. Luego paso a llamarse Anís Ayelo, la Nuez de Kola Coca , según aparece en etiquetas de 1882 como jarabe. Then Ayelo Anise was renamed the Coca Kola nut, as shown on labels 1882 as syrup.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a snippet from an electronically translated (Catalan to English) article that, for the first time, actually mentions a dollar amount (pesetas) that supposably was paid for the formula. The rest of this article will be forthcoming later ...

SPBOB

Please note: This is intended as interesting reading only, and not an attempt to prove anything in particular. I fully acknowledge here and now that the likelyhood of the Mica family ever having their claim fully substantiated is slim to none.

[ Snippet from Spain blog - tounge in cheek translation ]

"The purpose of this curious story would come in 1953, when, significantly, the American multinational Coca-Cola bought in Juan Joaquin Sanchis, at that time owner of the distillery ayeloneres, the rights to Coca-Kola Nut Liqueur and on its name, for 30,000 pesetas ."

~ * ~

* I should have done this already, but forgot and will be back shortly with how much 30,000 pesetas is in American money.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
According to my handy-dandy online converter, 30,000 pesetas comes to ...

$257.83

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just to show I am equally capable of shooting holes in the so called Spain connection, I would like to redirect your attention to where it said that an award/gold medal was presented in Philadelphia in 1885. I can find no record of an Expo or any other major event of that type in Philidelphia at that time. And yet, even with this said, there is another part of me that suspects if the family claims to actually have such an award, that they can likely prove it, and may very well still have the award and documentation to support it. But if this is the case, then exactly what Philadelphia "event" are they referring to? Was it a backstreet distiller's convention? A freak-show circus? Or what? I can find nothing whatsoever! Of course, I may have missed something. Or perhaps they just got the date wrong. The closest thing I have been able to come up with was a centennial celebration in 1876. But that would be way too early in my opinion.

So if the 1885 award is real, and truly does exist, who in Philadelphia gave it to them? And during what event?

I'll get back to you on this one if/when I find anything. If someone else has the answer, please let us know.

Thanks.

SPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
fishnuts ~

In response to your comment ...

" ... it would be nice if you had a destination, eh."

I can only say again this thread is for the curious minded and intended for those who find the subject matter of interest. Why don't we just call it cheap entertainment and leave it at that. There is no destination! And for anyone who finds it ridiculous and a waste of time, I suggest not following it or request e-mail notifications to it.

Personally, I find the whole thing facinating! But that doesn't necessarily mean I believe it. But you can be sure that someone in Spain believes it! And that's what intrigues me most!

Respectfully.

BOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Come to think of it, this thread has run it's course! So with this said, I will leave you with the following link to a blog that tells the story better than I will ever be able to. This link was sent to me by a fellow member whose name I won't mention, but who has my utmost respect and expressed appreciation!

Thanks to everyone who participated and took an interest in this thread.

SODAPOPBOB

Huge Link - But well worth looking at in my humble opinion!

:http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ca&u=http://el-blog-de-masclet.blogspot.com/2010/03/la-formula-valenciana-de-la-coca-cola.html&ei=Cr45Tsi5LsTYgAeF14nPBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB0Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://el-blog-de-masclet.blogspot.com/2010/03/la-formula-valenciana-de-la-coca-cola.%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1130%26bih%3D621%26prmd%3Divns

surfaceone

Reaction score
I can find no record of an Expo or any other major event of that type in Philidelphia at that time.

Hey Bob,

There was an 1885 Novelties Exhibition in Philly.

1872_Edison_Automatic_Telegraph_displayed_at_Centennial_Exhibition.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Surfer ~

It looks like we are "typing on the same page" but in regards to different events. I'm posting mine as a future reference for when I get more time to fully research them.

Thanks a million.

Bob

[ Ongoing file ]

A drinks congress in Philadelphia in 1885, [/align] [/align]http://bentpage.wordpress.com/category/coca-cola/[/align] [/align]1885: "Pemberton’s French Wine Coca" made its premier In Dr. Jacob's pharmacy in Atlanta. John Stith Pemberton refined the wine-based drink and Coca-Cola, the future symbol of "the American way of life," made its debut in 1886.
(AP, 5/3/03)(http://cocaine.org/coca-cola/)[/align]
[/align]Committee on Intoxicating Beverages (Philadelphia Yearly Meeting).[/align] [/align]Joint Committee of Philadelphia. Yearly Meeting on Temperance & Intoxicating Beverages.[/align] [/align]Conference held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September, 1885.[/align] [/align]Link to above quote regarding Pennsylvania, Sept 1885.[/align] http://www.aabibliography.com/addiction_habitual_drunkenness_larry_levine.html[/align][/align]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

Interesting ... Yours and one of mine are both dated September 1885. That's as good a place to start as any.

Thanks again.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4