Water, river, diver help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Terphunter

Reaction score
My family and i are going to northern New England this summer for our vacation. We will be staying on an island with some history and it seems like there might be an oportunity to find some bottles in the water. I dont dive but have a good snorkel...my question is will it be too cold (no wet suit) and will i be able to get deep enough?? This will be in a salt water environment. Any help or pointers from the H2o hunters would be appreciated!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Have a look at the chart Ovah Heah.

1337554362_8b1802faf0_z.jpg

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Find the nearest dive shop to the Island and rent a 1-piece, 5-4mil wetsuit, a hood, a weight belt and if you can afford it get a snorkling vest too, you can put air in it and stay afloat when you get tired. You will be cold in the ocean w/o a suit and hood and the weight belt will help you dive down but still allow you to swim back up, dont forget gloves as the bottles may have barnacles on them. A 5-4 mil suit means 5mil in the body portion and 4 mil on the extremities, if that is not available get a 7mil one piece suit.
Good luck and please post any finds you make.

Terphunter

Reaction score
Thanks for info.....burrr a lot colder than O.C. Maryland! Seeing all of these water finds makes me think my mask might uncover some treAsure?..definitely ill need to rent a suit.

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Another option is to visit a store called Ocean State Job Lots, I buy all of my wetsuits from them as they are warm and wicked inexpensive, the most I have ever paid was $80.00 and the least $40.00 you pay the higher rate in the spring and the cheaper in the fall as they try to move out old stock. Enclosed is a photo of me on the left in a 3-2 mil and my son Jon on the right in the 5-4 mil prior to doing a mooring inspection in a lake, the water was in the 60's.

94DF84022D7D4EB9ADE4DEFE589A7023.jpg

Attachments

• 94DF84022D7D4EB9ADE4DEFE589A7023.jpg
    94DF84022D7D4EB9ADE4DEFE589A7023.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 56

adshepard

Reaction score
Water temperatures are indeed around 50f or so in Northern New England. Given that you will have to search for anything, which takes time, you'll likely need a wet suit. I say likely because my nutty 13 year old daughter swims for over an hour in our chilly water.

Whether you can get deep enough depends on the spot you will be snorkeling at. I have found nice bottles in only 5 feet of water in Downeast Maine, however most have been in over 35 feet of water. If you can find an old wharf area you may get lucky.

Watch the currents and tides and ask locals if they have any suggestions as to where things might be found.

Alan

Terphunter

Reaction score
Thanks again for the great info...Buying a suit might an option. I think the shore looks mosly rocky from google maps...but i cant tell how deep it gets right next shore. I will have the fishing poles back up.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward