Weird top.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

druggistnut

Reaction score
Yes, very interesting.
If I had dug that bottle, my first guess/instinct would have been British.
Just goes to show you.
Bill

tigue710

Reaction score
these types of bottles were called export beer bottles. This type of top is always the give away to identifying them. It is a throwback to early junk porter bottles with double tapered tops, which easily accommodated a cork and wire seal. They started to show up in the 1870's, and were an answer to the loss of more expensive embossed bottles with lightening type and other reusable stoppers for larger firms that exported out of the local area.

Bottlers paid a lot of money for embossed bottles with reusable closures. As some firms became larger and started exporting bottles out of the county or state it was almost impossible to get their bottles back. They needed a cheap bottle that after sending off they didnt need to worry about getting back. These were the answer...

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

these types of bottles were called export beer bottles. This type of top is always the give away to identifying them. It is a throwback to early junk porter bottles with double tapered tops, which easily accommodated a cork and wire seal. They started to show up in the 1870's, and were an answer to the loss of more expensive embossed bottles with lightening type and other reusable stoppers for larger firms that exported out of the local area.

Bottlers paid a lot of money for embossed bottles with reusable closures. As some firms became larger and started exporting bottles out of the county or state it was almost impossible to get their bottles back. They needed a cheap bottle that after sending off they didnt need to worry about getting back. These were the answer...
Also VERY interesting and something I didn't know. Thank you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers