Westford Glass Factory dark amber bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SusanT

Reaction score
I have a 1 pint dark amber, probably wine or beer bottle, that was my grandfather's since at least 1930s/early 1940s to possibly earlier. According to my mother the bottle was found in Westford, Ashford, CT in the vicinity of Westford Glass Factory. My maternal grandparents and back at least 5 more generations were of the town of Ashford and most from the Westford area of Ashford. Mother always said it was a Westford Glass bottle. As the above amounts to really only hearsay in my book, I'd like to know if it is or is not a Westford bottle. It is a purely generic bottle with none of the noted Westford embossing. [:(] Description as best I can tell:8" high, 2¾" diameter base; weight: 12 oz; holds 16 fluid oz. Two seams run from base up to the neck. I can't tell if the seams continue up the neck because of the tool marks on the neck. I think it can be described as "Blowing In Mold" (BIM) hand finished? Dark amber; shape: squat cylinder; top: applied blob; base: smooth deep push-up/indented with dimple; thick glass at neck. Tool marks on neck. No trade or marker's marks. Seems to be in fairly good condition for a bottle this old except for a ¼" diameter air bubble on the side that may have burst on the inside causing 2 small flakes on the exterior of the bubble; no cracks; minor scratches. Included pics:1. Combo pic of two views of the bottle in different light.2. Three part pic of neck, top and bottom.3. Combo pic of two views of the air bubble and surrounding surface. The closest Westford bottle I have found to it is in the 7/5/2010 posting of Bill Bixby "Westford Utility Bottles." The pic in the 1st message, front row far right.http://www.antique-bottle...y-Bottles-m322678.aspx TIA. --- Susan [attachment=AmberWestford-combo.jpg] [attachment=AmberWestford-NTB-combo.jpg]

Attachments

• 6f5b8d090cda42c781a5f7091a799227.jpg
    6f5b8d090cda42c781a5f7091a799227.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 90
  • d75054926a874653b132052c5e8a0db8.jpg
    d75054926a874653b132052c5e8a0db8.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 0325ed2b74954b299ce07ff1a0940151.jpg
    0325ed2b74954b299ce07ff1a0940151.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 92

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
WelcomeNice bottle and photography. Given the provenance I'd say Westford is likely but I'll wait for more opinions.Thanks for sharing.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I have to agree with Eric on this one - right away. Thanks for sharing. No doubt, every one looking at that nice set of pictures - would like to have that bottle in their collection, unless they were into a special interest collections. It looks like it deserves a residence in a museum. i have six locals that I am putting in a local New YORK museum. RED Matthews

botlguy

Reaction score
Hi Susan, welcome to the forums. Although I am no expert on New England glass I am a big fan and have had several in my collection over the years.Glass blown all over New England has similar qualities and it is difficult to impossible to determine exactly which factory an unmarked example comes from. Yours definitely has the Westford look and is of the correct age, 1860 to 1870s. (One correction to your identification, it would be BIMAL [rather than BIM] for Blown In Mold, Applied Lip)(These are terms first used back in the 1960s) I believe a real expert on New England glass could pin it down closer if not exactly. I encourage you to keep asking, although not worth a great deal of money it is priceless as a family heirloom. Jim P.S. Many /Most of our real early glass experts have abandoned us it seems. [:(][:(][:mad:]

coreya

Reaction score
Super pictures and well thought out question, a real refreshing departure from the " I have a bottle whats it worth" type.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi again. Norman Heckler is probably just a rifle shot away and one of the authorities of glass in the whole northeast. Just search Heckler auctions and you can get his contact info.The Coventry bottle show is also coming up soon, you might enjoy it if you have the time but it's a little further away. I have little doubt that Norm or his son will be there. 11 October 2014 (Saturday) Coventry, Connecticut - Keene Weekend Saturday Show on the grounds of the historic Coventry Glass Works, 289 North River Road (intersection of Rt. 44 & North River Road), at the blinking light, Coventry, Connecticut 06238, Saturday 11 October, admission at 7:30 am ($4), show ends at 1:00 pm, dealers cannot unpack until 8:00 am with sound of buzzer, at 7:00 am exhibitors are allowed on field but cannot unpack till 8:00 am sharp, Southern Connecticut Antique Bottle and Glass Collectors Association, For more information/contracts please contact Bob, rdsrla@optonline.net,

SusanT

Reaction score
What wonderful replies!!! Thank you one and all; Eric, Red, Jim and Corey!!! It took me awhile to **scare up** the reply button or more accurately figure out how to reply. I thought I would be logged-in every time I came to the forum for had checked the "Stay Logged-in" or whatever option. I finally spotted the "Log-in" at top right of the page and then, Bingo, the reply screen appeared at the bottom of the page. I'm sorry the first 2 pics were fully inserted in the message. I meant for them all to be thumbnails. Thank you for the comments on the pics and bottles. Delighted to see that the consensus is Westford Glass. I thought probably Westford, but as I'm deep into genealogy research including hosting several genealogy websites, proving with reliable sources is very important in that field, discipline. As my mother was secondary or probably more accurately a tertiary source bordering on hearsay, I wanted more reliable sources such as you experienced antique bottle enthusiasts. >...1860 to 1870s. (One correction to your identification, it would be BIMAL [rather than BIM] for Blown In Mold, Applied Lip)...< Thank you, Jim, for a timeframe and of course the correction on the ID! >If you are selling it let me know.< Sorry, Red, like Jim suggested, this is a "family heirloom." I am in the midst of cataloging the family antiques in hopes that the younger generation will know the history, provenance, or just know what something is and ****not**** dump the antiques, heirlooms, off at the nearest Goodwill or a garage sale. At the moment I don't know of any of my direct line ancestors working or connected to the Westford Glass Factory. The Daniel Chaffee who was one of the original share holders of the Westford Glass Factory interests me because I have 2 direct Chaffee ancestral lines of that corner of the world. Nowww that Daniel Chaffee is not one of my direct ancestors, but suspect he was probably a nephew or great nephew of one of my lines. I "daughtered" out of my Chaffees c1800. This Daniel Chaffee was owning Westford stock in the 1850s.http://www.glassmuseum.org/glassworks13.htm Thank "y'all" again for replying! Yes, I'm located in the South; however, I am a misplaced Yankee born and bred in New England. --- Susan

SusanT

Reaction score
>...Norman Heckler... Coventry bottle show... < Eric, I didn't see your latest posting until after I had submitted my reply. Thank you on the Norman Heckler lead. I can't think of anything I rather do more than to attend any show - bottle, antique, flea market, vaudeville, etc... - in New England at this time of the year! As you may have read now in my previous reply, I'm located in the South, the Mid-south specifically the Memphis, TN metropolitan area. Hopefully in the next few years we will do New England again in the fall. I'm not embarrassed at being called a "leaf peeper." --- Susan

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were in the CT area. I probably I missed something.Anyway, back to leaf peeping. Don't be embarrassed. I'd sit a month on a mountain, if I didn't think I'd starve or freeze, just to watch it all. Well that and pay rent and other such garbage.[:D] Besides, I bet TN has some great viewing, just not for a bit later.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal