What cities are known to have pontiled druggist bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
When I get home I will start taking pictures of mine and posting them. It might take me a while to post them but I will get to them eventually. I have seen some great pictures of druggist with graphics and those in color on this forum. I figure we should have more pontiled ones here too!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Mc donald & Levy were advertised as druggists in the California newspaper The daily Alta, but I know of no bottles by them that say druggist onna bottle that are pontiled. Just like Cures if it doesnt say Cure onna bottle or is one of which a paper label is known to exist, a lot of collectors wont put them in their collections. I also collect San Francisco Sacramento & Stockton bottles. Which is why I include this one, also it is one of the few bottles that actually say california onna bottle that is pontiled, there arent many as we are a relatively new state 1850 compared with alla your older ones back east........

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
This page shows many Baltimore pontiled druggist.

http://baltimorebottles.com/collection/pages/meds.htm

that's Chris' site. He has some very rare balt meds.

I wonder what city has the most? Offhand I would say Philadelphia. What do you think?

I think New York has Philly beat by a long shot. Philly is definately second though.

Years ago I did a survey of 19th century meds and came up with ...

Top Ten Cities for 19th Century medicines

New York City 15%
Philadelphia 12%
Boston 4.2%
Baltimore 3.9%
Chicago 2.8%
Cincinnati 2.6%
San Francisco 2.3%
Pittsburgh 2.2%
St Louis 1.8%
Providence RI 1.5%

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
I would agree with your list if you are considering all 19th century medicines. However, for the pontiled druggist sub-category I mostly see ones from Philadelphia. Still I would think it has to be between Philly, NY. Chis did a great job with his site. There are quite a few impressive Baltimore bottles. I am glad St. Louis made your list. I am surprised Chicago didn’t rank higher. It might be that being here in the Midwest I see more of their bottles.

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
I would love to dig a whole one of these

(RARE OLD BLUE GLASS OPEN PONTIL MEDICINE BOTTLE T MORRIS PEROT &CO PHILADELPHIA)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170643617983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or these

(1850s John C Baker & Co DRUGGISTS 154N3rd Phila Aqua Pontil Med Bottle )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250919992483?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or this one

(Rare Unlisted Open Pontiled Memphis Tenn. Medicine Bottle-1850s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Unlisted-Open-Pontiled-Memphis-Tenn-Medicine-Bottle-1850s-/250933747428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6cd11ee4

I wonder if all the good digs are gone? Seems like a lot of broken stuff. Well I guess there was this recently

(Open Pontil T H Logan & Co. Wheeling, Va. Druggist Bottle)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230726768933?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Alaska

Reaction score
I think there is a bit of variance in that listing of cities.. I would think that during the pontil era Richmond va should make it onto the list. However during the whole 19th century those other cities should obviously score above it due to large population growth in the Midwest..

I would like to see what pontiled med/sodas you have from va

Tom

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I think there is a bit of variance in that listing of cities.. I would think that during the pontil era Richmond va should make it onto the list. However during the whole 19th century those other cities should obviously score above it due to large population growth in the Midwest..

I would like to see what pontiled med/sodas you have from va

it is what it is , a survey of 19th century meds. I'd love to see a pontil only one if someone want to take the time to do it.
There were relatively few pontil VA medicines, its a pretty short list, tiny compared to most NE states.

A southern state that really had a good bit of pontil meds was LA , because of New Orleans.
That was due to 2 reasons. First, N.O. was a strangly cosmopolitan city stuck in the middle of the south , closer to NYC or Paris than a southern city. Second, about half the N.O. medicines seem to either be aphrodisiacs or VD treatements , that says a lot about the place.

Louisville had a bunch but i'm not convinced that is the south.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2