What is necessary in the making of a bottle collector?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
For some time the question of "What is necessary in the making of a bottle collector?" has been an interesting item to ponder.

It seems that bottle collectors, or collectors of relics in general, are overwhelmingly and personally connected through their upbringing, culture and history to the objects so desired. Though I am sure they exist, I have never personally seen any American bottle diggers/collectors or dealers who are not Caucasian or Native American English-speakers. I have seen 1st generation Asian immigrants digging for minerals at mines here in the US but have never seen a single one interested in digging or collecting historical relics from this country. Westernized English-speakers, whether they be American, Canadian, British or otherwise, seem to have an inborn appreciation for eachother’s history and relics, probably due to similar culture and overlapping histories. I, however, have never personally met or seen an African-American or Hispanic collector or dealer, and though I am certain they exist, their numbers are likely disproportionately low relative to the populations they represent. I'd wager that it is a function of their sense of culture and collective history being quite different from our own.

I doubt that the urge to hunt, find, and collect old bottles is almost exclusive to whites, as it appears on the surface, but rather a result of one's personal connection to the history; the peoples and places of the past which are intimately intertwined with the objects we desire. I personally identify with the "mainstream" collective sense of the American and European past; I was brought-up immersed within the idea that this history was my history, and as such I feel a connection to the physical representations of this history which goes beyond the appreciation of superficial aesthetics and right into some sense of an abstract shared bond with the makers and users of the items deep in the past.

Collecting ancient artifacts, such as copper-culture tools made by the Natives in the great lakes area, or European and Asian artifacts ranging from the neolithic to iron-age is also very personally appealing. Often the sense of direct historical connection is present, but when it is lacking the connection is more broad in scope; these artifacts are manifestations of milestones in the refinement of inborn, uniquely human skills and abilities, and an increasingly advanced technological aptitude required to produce them. This, i believe, is a bond which transcends different cultures and histories and encompasses all people, by virtue of the fact that all peoples had a part in the development of modern humanity and the advantages we today enjoy. The drive to create and/or understand was strong in the people of the past, as it is amongst the modern progeny of those individuals now lost to the sands of time.

It also seems that the hunting/gathering instinct, an ancient ancestral trait, is another reason for collecting these nifty items, a reason which doesn't rely on a refined sense of personal connection but does mesh well with the sense if present.

Anyway, to bring this back to bottle collecting, I'd like your input and opinions regarding what forces have motivated you to collect and appreciate, and what you perceive as the forces which drive other collectors. Also, if you know of collectors who are atypical (according to my assumptions) please offer your observations and ana-lysis.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic which I have pondered before. Especially about the race thing, I've noticed it too. There was a pair of Hispanic men selling at the Oakland bottle show, but I do not know if they themselves were collectors. Aside from them, every bottle collector I've seen was white. The cultural differences you bring up, I think, are the primary reason.

Anyway, I think an appreciation for history is a must. And rather than (or in my case, in addition to) a book-learned connection to history, you need to yearn for a physical connection to history.

Diggers aren't the only collectors, but from a digger standpoint, you have to be a hands-on person. I was always out looking for bugs as a kid, turning over rocks and everything. The attraction to getting dirty is a must.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Good topic, Stephen,

I can only speak to my own situation. I've always been a reader, and as a young kid was reading all I could at one point on the trench warfare of the Great War. I dug opposing trenches in the front yard, and would have all kinds of muddy adventures with my buddies. No one ever wanted to be the Huns, so some of the "fighting was pretty non specific, and historically inaccurate.

I came by the "collector" gene legitimately, thanks to my Mother. Neither stamps nor coins got my goats scampering. I love hunting arrowheads, but only got to hunt sporadically as a Ute, and ended up giving most of my collection away.

I got into collecting photographs, particularly of American Indian Subjects, but got priced out of the market quite some time ago. There was a time that, pneumatic blonde ladies were all that I wanted...

The glass thing started while I was hunting for a Condo for my oldest daughter. I was driving along the river, one evening just before sunset, and drove up on a D9 freshly scalping a hillside lot. The hill was totally aglitter with bottles, shards, and hidden old stuff. I pulled over, parked, and started talking to the excavator. I got his blessing.

The next day was Saturday. I arrived in the morning with shovels and potato rake. That was a great spot. I dug all over the place and found all kindsa stuff from the 1850's to the 1950's. I dug, scratched and rambled all over that hillside for more than a year. I had great fun, met some very interesting folks, found some cool stuff too. Took family outtings with my youngest kids when they were small, though they never got too fascinated, alas.

The experience lit a fire in my furnace, that I have yet to quench.

Molten-glass-ladeled-from-12-pot-furnace.jpg

My collection is all personally dug, except for a couple from our own blobbottlebob via the Members Forum Auction, and a few gifts from people who knew I liked old bottles.

Race wise, I've been that crazy white man digging for some time now. I was having a swell time exploring and digging under what had been some Roosevelt era projects a few years ago. I was forking through some lovely fluffy ash, when I heard someone behind me say, real close, "What are you digging?. A tennish boy from one of the as yet un-demoed projects, had walked right up on me, while I was nose down in the ash.

He was real interested and fondled some of the glass I had dug. He asked a lot of questions and hung out for a while. He stopped back twice more while I was digging there. I gave him an old local druggist for his mother. I tried to tell him that digging could be a way to earn some small cash for his family, should he want to, but I don't know if it made an impression. I've not seen him since...

glass-furnace.jpg

carobran

Reaction score
Theres a black man here that sets up at the local festival and has bottles,ive bought a couple from him,hes not a collector though or dealer though,just sell all kind of stuff..[:)]

beendiggin

Reaction score
I am a hoarder, a loner, a treasure hunter, a junk collector, a dreamer, a salesman, a nostalgic romantic, and I think I have ADD.

carobran

Reaction score
My mom says im a hoarder.........let me assure you i am not.............im just a collector who has many interests[8|][8D]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Well good question........... If I thought about it, I'd have to say that my mother and grandmother had serious influence, as they were both talented oil painters with a love of painting outdoors, old farms, antique "barns" (junk shops during the 60's) and generally taking the road less traveled...which taught me an early appreciation for beauty in common objects, an appreciation for nature, and going sometimes where we shouldn't, (My mother stubbornly continued drive the old roads of the Kinzua river valley, long after construction of the much resented Kinzua dam project was well underway.)[:)] I saw many odd things this way, such as early trucks draped in black plastic, relocating graves for the impending dam.... Seneca indians carrying there meager belongings piled on trucks, the Army Corps burning and bulldozing houses, etc... We would also frequently be digging up bushes and plants from long abandoned homesteads, etc, for transplanting back home....Also took some local history courses in my early teens, which coincided with stumbluing across an early victorian dump in our woods, and these things all fueled my interest in and for this beloved hobby. Once I dug a few early bottles, many trips to the local Carnegie library for homework would end up with me poring over the 5 or 6 books they had on antique bottles (This would have been during the 70's when bottle digging/collecting was quite a craze as well.) I can remember being utterly fascinated with the color pictures of whittled and pontiled beautiful colored bottles, inks, meds, bitters snuffs and so on, and the amazing things 'written' on the glass. I still feel much the same about these things. Good idea for a topic.

Jim

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. I'm not sure exactly where I got my interest in history and historical objects, as I have had it as long as I can remember. Before the age of five, I was admiring old buildings/architecture and looking through thousands of pennies for those cool, old (to me, anyway) wheat cents. From there, my interests expanded to bottles by the time I was 10, and later to antique furniture, books, stoneware and items of local significance. When I was 3-5 years old, I collected all kinds of junk like bottle caps, license plates and milk cartons to see how many different ones I could find, so the "hunter/seeker" instinct must have been wired into my brain since birth.

Nobody else in my family had a strong interest in most of the things I like. I grew up with a few pieces of antique furniture in our house that belonged to my great-grandmother, and always preferred them over all of the "new stuff". I have one great-uncle who is a coin collector, but I only found that out after I discovered the hobby myself and mentioned it to him. As far as bottles, I got started when I accidentally came across a 1930s dump while walking to a fishing spot. Not much fishing got accomplished that day [:D]

I guess I'm not quite sure how I came to be interested in old things, but bottles and other antiques are the only things that have held my interest over the years. Other hobbies like guitars, motorcycles and hunting have come and gone (I still do some fishing, as long as no bottles are around the area to be found), but the bottle collecting is still going strong. ~Jim

glass man

Reaction score
My first wife had an uncle that collected bottles and ,for reasons I can't explain I was drawn to old bottles...1st wife long gone[[:)][;)]] Still love bottles...but never like when I got that 1st cracked 1915 dug coke bottle or that 1st Hood's..or Dr. Kilmers...I WAS LIKE A KID AT CHRISTMAS!Have bought,sold,dug,many many bottles over the years...but those first ones were the best!JAMIE

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS