What is the best cut of beef steak?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
In my experience, aged sirloin, and ribeye are the best slabs of affordable bovine meat for the stomach, so barring tenderloin, which is most exquisite, what are your favorite cuts and how are they prepared? I love the juicy, marbled and fatty bites of medium rare prime rib, but sometimes the gristle gets annoying. The aged sirloin cooked rare is tender and juicy usually, but it can get bland and dry if one is not careful (oneself or the cook). Are there any spices which would improve the culinary experience, or any cuts which are tender and flavorful which do not command such a high price?

I am not picky, and will eat anything as long as it tastes good (and is not made out of insects). Pork is great, as is sheep/lamb. Any longstanding tips would be appreciated. My gal is great at cooking, but she doesn't know everything. I would like to be able to add a bit to the table myself if some of you would like to offer some suggestions. It would be great to have a table set with a fine romaine salad and well-prepared cut of meat for my babe when she gets off work. She certainly deserves it for putting up with my bottle-digging crap until 4 AM at times!

Thanks regardless,

Stephen

Any help would be awesome.

RedGinger

Reaction score
First important thing: Dessert. Preferably something chocolate. Or, buy a Sara Lee Pound Cake (they are delicious), and cut it lengthwise in layers. Whip up some heavy cream with a little sugar and vanilla. Slice strawberries. Layer these in between the cake layers.

You can always buy the Mccormick's meal in a bag, pot roast or meat loaf. They are inexpensive and very good. It will smell like you've been cooking all day. You have to buy the meat and veggies for these.

I love Prime Rib too. For a quick, great steak, I recommend either a t-bone, porterhouse (these have the strip and tenderloin) or strip steak. Heat up a cast iron pan for three minutes. Sprinkle both sides of steak with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. This will create a nice crust. Sprinkle on some Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Seasoning Salt if you want. Cook for 6 minute + per side, depending on how well done you like it. The firmer it is, the more well done. Then, let it rest for a few minutes.

Serve with some vegetables. Idahoan makes great mashed potatoes that you just need to add water and/or milk too.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Tenderloin is great, just not as flavorful as strip steaks.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Excellent tips RedGinger, I haven't thought about preparing dessert but my Jenny certainly loves her chocolate, and has showed me how to whip up some real whipped cream so I could do that as well. It would be nice to surprise her at first with a tasty dinner, then prepare one at least once a week thereafter. Never tried the McCormicks products you spoke of but the thought of it is making me hungry. Fresh ground pepper is the only pepper I use, I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion, as the flavor is about 100 times better than the pre-ground stuff and it looks better too. I like tenderloin when it is just barely cooked on the outside, as the raw meat flavor within is awesome, but you are probably right, without much fat the flavor isn't as complex or savory, and it is expensive to begin with anyway. It has been years since I've had a T-bone or porterhouse steak so I should pick a few up and try them out. Joe must be a lucky man to have a woman like you around!

Thanks again.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Did someone say CHOCOLATE? RedGinger, your making me hungry and I just had breakfast. Love a good steak. Some say NY Strip is the most flavorful cut. It's not the most expensive, but certainly isn't cheap. I love tenderloin, but the best way to buy it is in full loin packs on sale and cut your own.

Oddly enough, pork tenderloin is not good in the same fashion (but is a lot cheaper). It tends to be very dry. Best cooked in the crock pot for 7 hours in some stock and a rub, shredded and made into BBQ pork.

I'm still waiting to try some Wagyu (Kobe) Beef. Need some major ching to do so.

towhead

Reaction score
Filet mignon - cut a lenghtwise opening, stuff with a dollup of Philly Cream cheese that is sprinkled with diced Jalapeno peppers and then wrapped in bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Filet mignon with mushroom sauce/gravy.... with Baby Red Potatoes on the side and yup, the Romaine Salad!

-Julie

RedGinger

Reaction score
Actually, Mccormick's makes a Meal in a Bag pork tenderloing too. Just trim the pork of any excess fat, and then you pat on the spices in the packet. Add the recommended amount of water and seal the bag according to directions. After baking, you can then use the liquid to pour over the sliced pork. It's very good. Thanks for the kind words, Plumb.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I have a good mushroom sauce for steaks, that you reminded me of Julie. I came up with this after the having the one they serve with steak at "Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse" in NH. I think that restaurant is just a New England thing, but they have very good food.

This is perfect with steak. I prefer the Baby Bella (Crimini) mushrooms, but you can use regular ones. I wash my mushrooms because it's too hard to get the dirt off otherwise. Then, I pat them dry. If there are any really large ones, cut them in half. Trim off the stems. Heat some butter in a pan ( the mushrooms absorb a lot, so you'll need a few pats). Then, add some chopped garlic, salt and pepper and saute. A little oregano is good too. Dried is fine. Add some freshly chopped flat leaf parsley if you like. Add the mushrooms and saute until they start to get soft. Then, add half a can of beef broth and a few dashes of worcestershire sauce. Let this simmer until the mushrooms are very soft. It won't take long. Voila! I have been known to eat this the next day by itself, just heated up with some good bread.

towhead

Reaction score
That sounds like good mushroom stuff! I cheat with the pack of brown gravy mix with a dash of garlic powder and pepper....and, yes, fresh mushrooms cooked in butter.

-Julie

ktbi

Reaction score
Laur - those mushrooms sound heavenly. I've made a meal of saute'd mushrooms more than once. I like all the cuts mentioned so far, but another favorite, and less expensive, cut is the flank steak. BBQ'd and sliced thin it's kinda hard to beat....Ron

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS