What is the best cut of beef steak?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
This is Laur. trying out Joe's new computer. Flank steaks are great for fajitas and things. Just marinate well, to tenderize and slice them against the grain (you can just look at the directions of the lines on them).

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great info people, keep it coming! I don't much care for mushrooms, but mushroom sauces are generally quite good. I should give that a try sometime. Bacon+Filet Mignon sounds very tasty. I will eat entire packages of bacon at a time (I always go through 20 or so packs to choose the meatiest ones, hehe) and the fats from the bacon would probably make the filets extra delicious and juicy. Damn I love meat! [:)]

I just got back from the store with a few packs of "Ranchers Legend premium Angus beef" Dunno what the big deal is about Angus, is it actually any better than other varieties of beef? I tend to think it is just a marketing ploy but have nothing to back it up. I didn't see any T bones or Porterhouse so I got me 2 packs or 1.43 pounds of of cheap Sirloin tri tip (nicely marbled), an 8 ounce new york strip, and a .68 pound ribeye steak. I read that you are supposed to cook the tri tip slowly to let the enzymes naturally tenderize the meat, then let it rest for 15 minutes, so i'll have to cook it with this in mind.

30282_10100150730167350_1937295_56931160_490205_n.jpg

Think I'm gunna try the NY strip for lunch cooked medium rare, as I haven't had one in ages. Dunno how it could beat a ribeye but I am ready to be surprised!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
London Broil is another good one. It's a tough cut before you marinate, cook and slice it, and the best way to slice it is against the grain, very thinly, as ktbi mentioned, preferably with one of those electric knives. I like to use a Bloody Mary marinade (minus the alcohol). Use all the spices and tomato juice you would use to make a Bloody Mary. Marinate overnight and throw it on the grill or under the broiler.
Laur

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Those are all good cuts. The tri tip can be used for lots of things. Try deglazing the pan with some butter after the steak is cooked, scraping up the brown bits and pour this over the steak. It's just as good without that too. You can also take a garlic clove, smashed, or cut in half and rub it over the steak before you cook it.
Laur

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hey you steak connoisseurs, I hate to throw a negative curve on steak after eating it when I had an opportunity for a good 60 years. But now I am beginning to go through a month or two without steak. I don't like the things I have read about, where they are giving cows a transferred progesterone plugs and hormones to over stimulate their reproducibility systems creating more embryos a year. We can't loose sight of what the greed of people can do to our health. It is enough to make one wonder how many of these tricks are coming on to shorten our life with the risk of hormone-dependent cancers in the future.

If nothing more the best bull ever represents the ultimate marbled meat - muscle laden with saturated fat that can lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes and a shortened life span. So I am there, with two of those medical problems. It is all a greed for money that messes up our life. And the good taste leads us on!!
Another soap box.w/ TMI by RED Matthews

glass man

Reaction score
YEP RED TOO MUCH RED MEAT TOO CAN BE REAL BAD. CAN CAUSE GOUT FOR ONE THING AND DOES NOT DIGEST WELL FOR ANOTHER.

NOW THAT BEING SAID NINA AND I LOVE THICK RIBEYE STEAKS WHEN WE CAN AFFORD THEM.
I LOVE MINE PAN FRIED,ALMOST BURNT ON TOP AND MEDIUM RARE INSIDE!!

RedGinger

Reaction score
You guys are right. When I was younger, I read a book about beef and the things that go on and I didn't eat it for ten years. My Mom still doesn't eat it. It's been about twenty years for her. I was a total vegetarian for awhile. I try to buy organic when I can. I love all animals so much that I always feel guilty about eating them, especially considering how intelligent they are. The hormones, the killing, etc. is very very bad and we should all think about it. I think man has evolved past the point of needing meat. Take, for example, the appendix and wisdom teeth. Both are believed to have had a use at one time in our ancient history; for digesting and chewing meat. Now, the appendix is smaller in humans and more and more people are being born without appendixes/wisdom teeth. I do believe we need to eat fish. Especially Maryland Blue Crabs!! You get lots of Omega 3's from fish as well as Walnuts in particular. As Debbie the Downer (SNL character) would say, Just watch out for the mercury!

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
Anybody mention factory farming? I wrote a philosophy paper on it recently. I still eat meat tho[sm=rolleyes.gif]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I like my steak burned to a crisp and smothered in A1 or Worcestershire.. I'm more interested in the baked potato and sauteed broccoli than the meat.. you can put lipstick on protein and fat, but it's still protein and fat... [8|]

CF78E982413A402CA14AE4C44C1C6F71.jpg

Attachments

• CF78E982413A402CA14AE4C44C1C6F71.jpg
    CF78E982413A402CA14AE4C44C1C6F71.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 60

appliedlips

Reaction score
A nicely marbled, fat ribeye with worcester sauce and fresh garlic, medium rare on the grill. Unlike other meats, cook very quickly over a hot fire, the more flames the better. Filet is good but lacks the needed fat. Prime rib is would be my second choice as well. Vegetarians don't know what they are missing.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks