What subfeature would be in front of the house under a window?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ATXDigger

Reaction score
Ok, I was given permission to do some digging out at a Texas home built in the 1840's and came across a rectangular brick lined pit measuring about 4ft x 8ft x 6ft deep. It was located about 6 inches from the house and was directly under the front right window. I am definitely new to this and the location of this "pit" has me baffled. What would be the purpose of this? Would they put a privy that close to the house? Also, the brick matches the foundation so I know it's as old as the house. The only thing found was a bottle from around the 1940's and a piece of metal about 3ft deep. The rest was filled with dirt and sand and it doesn't hold water. In fact, the owner didn't even know about it. If you have any suggestions on what it might have been used for, please let me know as it's bugging me! Thanks

866DA3E5AD1B4EBA819E0D1901042063.jpg

Attachments

• 866DA3E5AD1B4EBA819E0D1901042063.jpg
    866DA3E5AD1B4EBA819E0D1901042063.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 50

diggerdirect

Reaction score
My first thought was maybe an abandoned entrance way to the basement, but pic looks as if there is no cellar underneath. Perhaps a root cellar or a storm shelter, entrance from the top, caved in or got unsafe over time and was filled in?
Al

GuntherHess

Reaction score
sounds like a cistern filled from a roof gutter. They werent always parged. I have one that has exposed brick and it holds water ...at least long enough to use.

rockbot

Reaction score
Being that there is no steps to get down in it I would think its a cistern.
4x8x6 would hold approx 1500 gallons.

ATXDigger

Reaction score
I first want to say thanks for all your guys help. I too am beginning to think it's a cistern, but before I call it case closed, I want to be very sure.
GuntherHess, you said that you knew of some cistern examples that weren't parged. Is it possible you have any more information or personal experience with that type that you could share? Also, does anyone know of some examples of rectangular cisterns? The only ones I have found are only located on a island in NC.

Thanks again.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have a circular brick cistern under my back porch that isnt parged. Its seems to hold water pretty good.
I have seen square cisterns but most early ones seem to be circular.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey