Whats up now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
RE: First find ever !!!!

ORIGINAL: barberman

I'll tell you what. If Rickjj59w digs as many privies as he says, he'd be the last person I'd tangle with.

Privy diggers are tough! I'm hurting bad. Being a barber I stand all day with my arms up. This bending over and digging is killing me!
You don't want to tangle with the mentally conflicted, good choice...Hopefully your customers won't have to pay for your hard work by ending up with a Moe...[8D]

BF4F7CE24BEA496AB6A41A6F5061A5AE.jpg

Attachments

• BF4F7CE24BEA496AB6A41A6F5061A5AE.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 74

madman

Reaction score

very nice! probe for more? congradulations ! please let us know the out come! and keep posting!

tigue710

Reaction score

now ya got it... Funny story, one of my first privys started much the same way. I probed out an area and started to dig, never did figure out what the hole I started digging was, just a pit with ash and nothing else in it... I found a bottle towards the edge up against a brick, which turned into a wall of bricks which was the back wall of the privy in the next yard over...

twowheelfan

Reaction score

great job! the one thing that other diggers keep reminding me is that once you know youare into something dont probe anymore. you only need to probe after you find a definate privy to get a sense of the width. your shovel and a sharpened small broom stick are the tools to use. scrape the use layer with the stick and remove the "fluff" with the shovel carefully. try to clear strata by strata going down half of the width to form a "shelf" then remove the shelf. repeat. once you are down a good ways(varies from region to region, but here in nyc 6-7 feet) probe gently(once, straght down) in the lowest spot to determine the bottom. cut the last 2-3 feet of the pit in half, remove the layer on one side completely. then "flip" the other half carefully. the best things sometimes are found in the corners at the very bottom and sometimes just outside the walls or floor at the bottom. remember, the guys tha dug this privy were the first ones there and they might have deposited their "lunch bottles" in their back fill. i wanna see more pics!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

Congrats on the pit man,now I wont get on your chit anymore [:D]

But I need to ask you something, the privy was only 2 feet deep? seeds at 2 feet? Maybe I read wrong.

--------and if I dug privy's as much as I would like to I would be in a wheel chair real quick.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: tigue710

now ya got it... Funny story, one of my first privys started much the same way. I probed out an area and started to dig, never did figure out what the hole I started digging was, just a pit with ash and nothing else in it... I found a bottle towards the edge up against a brick, which turned into a wall of bricks which was the back wall of the privy in the next yard over...

So thatsss how you started to collect bricks T [8D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: barberman

I'll tell you what. If Rickjj59w digs as many privies as he says, he'd be the last person I'd tangle with.

Privy diggers are tough! I'm hurting bad. Being a barber I stand all day with my arms up. This bending over and digging is killing me!
You don't want to tangle with the mentally conflicted, good choice...Hopefully your customers won't have to pay for your hard work by ending up with a Moe...[8D]

What are you saying BIG BOY?

barberman

Reaction score

Thanks. Privy had 8 inches of dirt on top of rectangular stone walls. Took me a while to get it outlined. (hours) Then I dug down carefully and with a long 3 prong scratch tool got into the soft stuff. Dug down inside the stone walls about 2'. Hope to remove my overhang and proceed with digging. 2 diggers are a must! Its hard to shovel up to a barrel being in a hole.

Seeds at about 12 inches below the top of the stone wall. Anxious to see how deep it is and whats at the bottom. Found shoes, buttons, plates, parts of cups, desert cups, door lock plates, and stuff I broke with my probe.

May need 6 more barrels!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2