Whats up now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barberman

Reaction score
First find ever !!!!

Found bottles! 1870 home across the alley from 1885 skating rink. Found a soft spot near where Sanborn indicated. No impression at all on ground. Started yesterday, dug 2 hours. Today dug 3 hours. Last night found lots of trash and a line of flat rock. Dug up some of the rock and discovered it was the back wall of a rock/stone 3x4 privy.

After re directing my digging direction I was able to get down about 2 feet in the privy. Lots of roots, will take root cutter when I go back.

Found some white powder stuff under trash layer, then a whiskey slick, then a squat beer both before the use layer. The beer was in a corner and the slick was against a wall. Don't know how deep it is, need to get my digging partner involved. It is the hardest work I've ever done! Hats off to you privy diggers, its like training the Navy Seals do, Intense workout.

Filled 4 barrels.

Found a few broken ones I smashed with my probe! More info and pictures when I get to the bottom.Really was fun!

DSCN7127.jpg

DSCN7115.jpg

DSCN7125.jpg

DSCN7119.jpg

DSCN7121.jpg

DSCN7126.jpg

DSCN7135.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
RE: First find ever !!!!

By George, I think he's got it!

There's really nothing to compare to privy digging. Looks like you're off to a good start technique-wise. If you haven't hit the use layer yet, you're in for a great deal of fun soon! The white stuff is lime, which was a pungent chemical used to cover up the smell from the crap. That and the seeds are exactly what you want to see, as they mean you're at the use.

The amber bottle is more of a malt whiskey type. I assume it's turn molded?

barberman

Reaction score

Thanks, yes the brown bottle appears to have a spiral look in the glass. Seems like I'm in and out of the seed/use layer. Only down 2' or so. Its very soft and fluffy soil. Dry powder soil. Suppose I will have to remove my dirt overhang so I can get down into it. Local brick company didn't start manufacturing until late 1890's, So I expect to find more stone units. Spent lots of time digging my step and sitting area.

Do you think they dipped back in the 1870's? Wonder if there is another privy on this property, whomever built this one sure labored for many days!

I'm proud of my 2 bottles and have drove all over town showing them off!

Wheelah23

Reaction score

There was definitely dipping in the 1870's. Unfortunately for us, most privies were dipped, to varying degrees of completeness... [:eek:]

surfaceone

Reaction score

DSCN7135.jpg

More info and pictures when I get to the bottom.Really was fun!

Good for you, Rick,

Glad you found a privy, and some bottles. Can't believe you're not still digging. Gonna slowly savour this one, eh.

I'm gonna slightly disagree with Connor, on the amber guy. I'd call that a Malt Extract type.

kingstonic.jpg
From.

barberman

Reaction score

My brown bottle does not have a seam like yours. Thanks, Rick

CazDigger

Reaction score

Congratulations!!! Now you will be hooked! Definitely very hard work but rewarding. I have to prepare my middle-aged body with lots of food and gatorade and have to pace myself or I will crash when I dig privies. Keep us posted!!!

barberman

Reaction score

I'll tell you what. If Rickjj59w digs as many privies as he says, he'd be the last person I'd tangle with.

Privy diggers are tough! I'm hurting bad. Being a barber I stand all day with my arms up. This bending over and digging is killing me!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26