Whats up now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barberman

Reaction score
I AM THE ONE WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT ABN you should be thanking me for that.
Actually I've been a member since December 2008.

Thanks to all, got 2 more permissions yesterday. A bottle friend of mine will be a digging partner. The first dig will be the 1885 Skating Rink house, but the telephone line is near the pit. I'll call dig safe, I'd hate to cut a fiber line!

BillionMo I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with digging, Kansas and Missouri soil is similar. Wood lined? How deep?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Dig and you'll find out how deep. Get after it and worry about depth later.

lexdigger

Reaction score
You need to be prepared for Any type of pit. Here in Kentucky we have brick, wood, and stone lined pits that can be round, oval, square or rectangular. They can be anywhere from 6 feet deep to 20 + feet deep. Always be prepared to deal with Depth, Water, Sun, Roots, HUGE Rocks, Snakes, Gangbangers, Troublemaking Kids, Crazy Crackheads... you name it! LOL! You never know what you're getting into until you crack it open, determine the diameter and depth, thrown down some tarps and DIG.

barberman

Reaction score
Thanks. Went to the junk yard today and got 2 big pieces of spring steel from a Lincoln town car $5 for both, took me 15 minutes to pry both of them out. Going to weld them together and make a 9 footer.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Be CAREFUL when welding spring steel. Don't quench, whatever you do. Air cool only. Welding spring can make it brittle and subject to sudden snapping under use.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:mad:] You cannot successfully WELD two trunk springs together and have a SAFE probe out of the deal, no matter how you quench the darn thing, just order a longer probe from old west bottles and be done with it, go out and find the privies with the five footers, they are plenty long enough, dig the hole and dont bother with the long probes you have a long way to go before you need one of those, just like everybody here has stated many many times go DIG, I hereby banish you until ya have some stuff from a HOLE to show us.........

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[:mad:] You cannot successfully WELD two trunk springs together and have a SAFE probe out of the deal, no matter how you quench the darn thing, just order a longer probe from old west bottles and be done with it, go out and find the privies with the five footers, they are plenty long enough, dig the hole and dont bother with the long probes you have a long way to go before you need one of those, just like everybody here has stated many many times go DIG, I hereby banish you until ya have some stuff from a HOLE to show us.........

------------or at least a privy dug "into". Its not even a matter of "stuff" [:-]

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, my longest probe is a six footer. I actually Prefer to keep the Depth a secret until I hit the six foot mark. If I'm still into Fill and haven't hit the Use yet, I may probe to see how far we have to go... but that just depends on how pressed for time we are. Usually we are too busy holding Old Bones up from our crotch and yelling "I got a BONER" at each other. If not that, some other silly way to cut up and have fun. It's not ALL about digging pits and getting bottles... sometimes you just dig a hole and get nothing but a good time with friends. Expect anything more and you might get disappointed.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have a variety of probe lengths, from 3' to 10', but mostly use a 4' or 5' when probing for pits. Don't fret over a long probe, you first need to locate a pit using the short one. Quit asking endless questions and get out there and FIND A PRIVY. THAT is the ONLY way to learn how to locate one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson